DSLR Photography Forum
Buying Camera, Need some help. - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Buying Camera, Need some help. (/thread-276.html)

Buying Camera, Need some help. - Lak - Jul 20, 2004

Hi i'm thinking of buying a fairly cheap digital camera along side my 300d, since i "happy snap" too much. =P I was looking at the Canon Powershot A75 and the Sony Cybershot DSC-P72. Anyone with experience with any of these cameras? I'm also open to any other opinions on digital cameras that are around the $200-$400 AUD range. I'm just looking for an easy to use, fairly quick firing and decent quality camera. Thanks in advanced Smile

Buying Camera, Need some help. - peter - Jul 20, 2004

I was just thinking of getting a Cybershot U30 ...
A small compact camera ... that i can hide up my sleeve ...
^____^ ...

Buying Camera, Need some help. - dewy - Jul 20, 2004

I'd look atthe Pentax Optio S range I tihnk they atre down in that Price Range now days

yeah .. i was looking at the optio S4 ...
usually around 700 ...
but i think i saw one on center going for about 550 ..
only thing is that xD memory is so expensive ~_~....

mmmm yea i was looking at the optio S ... but it just out of my price range... my range sorta can't go pass $400 =P

Buying Camera, Need some help. - shuttertalk - Jul 20, 2004

I think the A75 (or even the A70 if you're restricted by price) isn't a bad buy...

How about the minolta X series? Is that too expensive?

Are you particular about aperture priority/shutter priority/manual etc? If so then A70/75 is probably the only option...

hrmm the minolta Xt is nice..
i think i saw it on ebay b4 for not too bad a price..
plus it has hidden optical zoom ...

shuttertalk Wrote:I think the A75 (or even the A70 if you're restricted by price) isn't a bad buy...

How about the minolta X series? Is that too expensive?

Are you particular about aperture priority/shutter priority/manual etc? If so then A70/75 is probably the only option...

Thanks, I'll look into the minolta X series. Smile

As for settings and stuff... i'm not too worried about that since i got the 300d for thats =P ... just looking for a point and click camera... something thats easy to use and gives a fairly decent quality picture.

Buying Camera, Need some help. - adam - Jul 20, 2004

I'd like the Canon though I haven't compared it directly to the Minolta X series.
I'll have a look now Smile

I've used the Minolta X camera before, but found that my fingers liked to get in the pictures since the lens was at the top corner Smile

Your 300D is great for happy snapping Tongue hehe Smile

I can't post this message yet, still waiting for my net to connect;
it's so annoying, can't get online! and when I do, its only for a little while before I get disconnected again!
must get a new modem soon; the nasty man said that there was nothing wrong with our modem; he's lying and lying and lying Sad

So I sit here, checking on the modem status every few minutes, waiting for it to say "connection established" so I know I can post; each time, adding a bit more to this post; while I read a 1997 National Geograhic Magazine I bought today.
The pictures are so nice.. blue skies Smile

did you buy that form the charity book sale ?

Buying Camera, Need some help. - adam - Jul 20, 2004

Yes I did!
Well, a book sale at uni, but is it a charity one?
Going there again tomorrow, was half price today, hopefully again tomorrow. The magazine only costed me 25 cents, and got nice pictures
the internet now really annoying me, I just turned off my laptop and was in bed about to sleep, then remembered that I had to go turn off the light, so as I went to turn off the light, I walked past the modem and saw that the light were no longer flashing, so i turned on my laptop (now sitting on my bed about the sleep) and see that the net is working! after waiting all night - it starts working when I'm going to go to sleep!! ahhhh Sad

uhauh yeah .. the one in winthrop hall right ? ..
thats a charity sale..

I think i like the minolta Xg or Xt. Thanks for the help guys Smile

yeah .. we get 2 .. one for me as well .. .and we see if we can get a discount ^^

ok .. anyone know any more sites for cheap cameras .. i really want the Dimage Xg now ...

i wanted the Xt about a year ago ... and now long has fired me up about getting one!

Buying Camera, Need some help. - Lak - Jul 21, 2004

lol Peter, i think i have a change of heart. The Canon A75 looks very inviting agains. =P I read a few reviews and it say it produces Amazing image quality for a compact digital camera. I also watched the Cnet video review on it too. =P

Buying Camera, Need some help. - peter - Jul 21, 2004

how small issit ? ...
does it use CF memory ?
and how much does it cost...

i had a change of heart when i found the cheapest Xg i nthe city today was 440 bucks... ~_~

Optio S4 is looking good .. but stll too exp ..
if i get a canon one ..id prolli have to get a new memory card ..
cause i wouldnt want to use the same CF card in both the cams .. will screw up the photo numbering ~_~

hrmm ..just looked at the site..
wow VGA movie recording .. i likes !!
if you find a good price.. gimme a shout!

check the DMA prices .. i cant get onto the site ne more ..they might have some ..

Buying Camera, Need some help. - dewy - Jul 21, 2004

peter Wrote:Optio S4 is looking good .. but stll too exp ..
I know, I did see one on Centre.net.au for about $500 tho =)

Buying Camera, Need some help. - dewy - Jul 21, 2004

Correction:
[Image: PENOPS40.jpg]
Pentax Optio S40 Digital Camera
Duty Free AU $385.00
inc. GST AU $423.50
Regular $531.30

yeah ...550 for Optio S4i .. a bit more exp when u include postage ..
but id rather buy stuff like this from local stores..better support if nething goes wrong ..

dewy Wrote:Correction:
http://www.centre.net.au/prod/tn/PENOPS40.jpg
Pentax Optio S40 Digital Camera
Duty Free AU $385.00
inc. GST AU $423.50
Regular $531.30

i wants the S4i not the s40 ...