DSLR Photography Forum
How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached (/thread-5611.html)

How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - kendals - May 22, 2006

G'day guys.

Checking out pictures like:

[Image: IMG_8334.jpg]

... I would love to know how do take photos like this- what is the setting for this? I have a Canon Ixus 50, btw.

Thanks for the advice! Smile

How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - matthew - May 22, 2006

Hi, and welcome to Shuttertalk!

For that type of photo, you need a lit and moving subject, long shutter speed, and a steady camera support. A tripods is best, but you may also be able to brace the camera on a railing or other sturdy object.

[Image: 10eh1r9.jpg]

I took this photo yesterday with my Canon Elph (aka Ixus) S400, and the controls on your camera look essentially identical. They produce really nice photos, but sometimes you need to outsmart them. Mine was taken by setting the ISO to 50, its lowest, and zooming out for the maximum aperture. These combined to give a 1-second shutter speed, which was enough to streak the lights in the subway tunnel. The camera was held firmly against the window.

The other option for long shutter speeds is to manually set them. They need to be enabled in the setup menu, and then they're set through the EV (exposure compensation) function. You can choose 1 to 15 seconds, and then have to try it out to see what the resulting exposure looks like. It's trial and error, but this type of photograph suits it. Don't delete your "misses" until you get home and can play with them on your computer. Sometimes, the photos you weren't looking for can be the best ones.

How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - kendals - May 22, 2006

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I've bookmarked this site, and will have a good look around. Cheers Smile

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Beckylouise - May 27, 2013

You need to set yourself up on a bridge above a busy road with a tripod. Experiment with shutter speeds, but I would normally use around 8 seconds.

You can see examples and explanations on my blog (November/December 2012 from memory)

http://www.dailywanders.blogspot.com

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - vlad - May 28, 2013

Good answer, but the thread was 7 years old. Smile

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Beckylouise - May 28, 2013

I know, I didn't notice til after I'd posted Sad I'll have to pay more attention when looking at the related topics box!

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Barbara G. - May 28, 2013

It is okay - still there is good info and guest read these as well as the new threads...so don't worry about it too much!

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Beckylouise - May 29, 2013

(May 28, 2013, 17:35)Barbara G. Wrote:  It is okay - still there is good info and guest read these as well as the new threads...so don't worry about it too much!

Thankyou Smile I think I posted on another 7 year old thread also!

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - PhotoPlay - May 31, 2013

Sometimes bridge sway softly and gentle affecting our exposure when long exposure applied. Make sure no car passing to avoid vibrations to your tripod and camera. Also use 2 sec timer to trigger the camera or a cable or remote to avoid vibrations.

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - samyshah - Jun 6, 2013

The best way to do this -

Position yourself on a walkway above the freeway, or a bridge
Use a tripod for sure
Set the shutter speed to 20+ even 30 seconds
Use a remote or a timer function to shoot
Try doing this on different ISOs for different effects

Cheers
Samy

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - zoshart - Jun 7, 2014

(May 22, 2006, 06:46)kendals Wrote:  G'day guys.

Checking out pictures like:

[Image: IMG_8334.jpg]

... I would love to know how do take photos like this- what is the setting for this? I have a Canon Ixus 50, btw.

Thanks for the advice! Smile

No fail settings for me are:100 ISO + f/18-25, 25 seconds or BULB depending how busy the traffic is.

A tripod is a must to get clear starbursts. When on tripod, put on LIVE View, switch the lens to Manual focus, focus, set timer to 2 seconds, click and wait.

Canon user too.

RE: How do I take a photo that creates a 'string' effect (picture attached - Sirlarek - Oct 4, 2014

You will have to know the length of time it takes for a car's headlights (or whichever source of light you use that is moving) and know how long it will be inside of the camera's field of view...that is the minimum shutter speed.

This shot is of an airplane coming into view and crossing over to land while I was taking a shot of the moon (bulb setting) probably 7 minute shot.