DSLR Photography Forum
Histograms - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Histograms (/thread-6123.html)

Histograms - Banded Drake - Aug 17, 2006

Ok here is another one of my " stupid " questions about digital. What is the histogam telling me ? and how do i read it LOL . I have an idea about what it does but i dont know how to read it . Is there any easy explaination ? or do i just need to do some reaserch ?

Thanks ......... Shawn

Histograms - Russt - Aug 17, 2006

g'day BD, best thing is to do some research i think.........HEREis a link to get you started.......

Wink

Histograms - Banded Drake - Aug 17, 2006

thanks Russt ,

i am there reading right now . :o

........ Shawn

Ok im back from reading and i have to say now i know what i am looking at . Thanks soooo much for the link . It explains so much and in terms that i can understand LOL .

........... Shawn ( again )

Histograms - Wedding Shooter - Aug 17, 2006

Expose to the right Shawn - without going right to the edge. That is probably the simplest thing to remember with a histogram.

Cheers,

Chris

Histograms - Toad - Aug 17, 2006

I never use them, Drake - although when I look at the "captured" histograms, my best shots are always exposed to the right as WS says.

Histograms - Banded Drake - Aug 18, 2006

Thanks W S and Toad. '

I was looking through some of my shots histograms and i can see some of the things better now ( if that makes any sence ) .

............ Shawn

Histograms - slejhamer - Aug 18, 2006

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Expose to the right Shawn - without going right to the edge. That is probably the simplest thing to remember with a histogram.
+1

Histograms - shuttertalk - Dec 9, 2006

How many use histograms regularly?

(a) with every shot, baby
(b) occasionally - maybe 1 in 10
© histo-what?

Histograms - matthew - Dec 9, 2006

"'A'-and-a-half".

I'll shoot a couple of frames and check until I'm happy, and then I never look at it again.

Generally my meter is a little conservative, and I shoot in raw+jpeg, so I don't worry too much about highlights until I start thinking that a scene is +/- 1EV. Anything less and I just wing it. I will also check if I think that I'm in marginal light for my chosen shutter or aperture value, simply because I never actually think to look at the info display in the viewfinder.

Histograms - Keith Alan - Dec 10, 2006

In sunlight my camera meters really well, so I hardly ever look atthe histogram.
At night I check it a lot, and chimp heavily, too.

Histograms - Wedding Shooter - Dec 10, 2006

I will check it quite regularly at a wedding - other times not very much.

Histograms - NT73 - Dec 11, 2006

Some where between b and c. Big Grin But I know what they mean, more or less.
The panny was good, because you could view it through the eye piece. Not so with the Canon.