DSLR Photography Forum
I need a flash.... - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: I need a flash.... (/thread-6566.html)

I need a flash.... - Irma - Nov 23, 2006

My flash is "kaput" Sad

Well, it wasn't mine actually... it was G's but I was working with it... The thing is that all of a sudden... it didn't want to work anymore...

Anyway... I was already thinking about getting a new one... but I would like one that could work with both cameras... the D70 and the 5D... do you think there is something in the market for my needs??

Thanks a lot for your advice...

Irma.

I need a flash.... - rdegro - Nov 23, 2006

I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for Irma but I have been using a Sunpak 544 for more years than I can remember. I bought a Wein Hotshoe Adapter to regulate the trigger voltage to 7 volts and use it on both my Sony F828 and my Canon 20D digitals. Of course you have to input some settings as the 544 is a manual device. I'm sure there are other brands you can buy modules for to use on a Nikon and change the module for the Canon. The dedicated flashes are great if you only go with one brand but in our cases but that tends to become expensive. The 544 has a great range as I have shot basketball games from one basket to the other with no problems.

I need a flash.... - shuttertalk - Nov 23, 2006

I know the pin layout between the Canons and Nikons are different, so as Rene said above you will most likely need an adapter if you want to use the same flashgun between the two cameras...

Other than that... I've got no ideas... Big Grin

I need a flash.... - Irma - Nov 24, 2006

Thanks Rene, Jules...

I will see that flash and the adapter... The thing is that buying a flash for each camera is about 700 euro... Sad Hope I can get something cheaper for both cameras...

Thanks again... Smile

I need a flash.... - Peted - Nov 24, 2006

Much cheaper way would be to get a Sigma DG 500 Super for each. They are around US$200 each and are quite good, heaps of light, have wireless, etc.

I need a flash.... - Irma - Nov 27, 2006

Thanks Pete, for your advice. I will check those too.

I need a flash.... - wulinka - Nov 27, 2006

what I like about the nikon as opposed to the canon flashes is that they can be triggered by the inbuilt flash.... not much advice, but something I miss about my 580EX sometimes.

uli

I need a flash.... - shuttertalk - Nov 28, 2006

wulinka Wrote:what I like about the nikon as opposed to the canon flashes is that they can be triggered by the inbuilt flash.... not much advice, but something I miss about my 580EX sometimes.

uli
Generally true but I think it's dependent on which model camera you have... the D50 doesn't have the built in wireless transmitter...

I need a flash.... - wulinka - Dec 1, 2006

You know, ST, I thought it was the light from the inbuilt triggering the flash??? is it a transmitter? (D70)

I need a flash.... - Irma - Dec 2, 2006

I think I have a possible solution... I have a speedlight SB-23 for the D70 so with a slave I could use it with the flash the camera has and then I would have already two lights to work with... I only need a good flash for the D70 because I will take it to Mexico next February and I really need a good flash..

A then for the 5D I was thinking about something like this ... As far as I understood this flash talks with the camera so I won't have problems with light metering...

Sorry if I say something wrong here but flashes but I am really new in this field... Sad anyway please feel free to correct me... Smile

I need a flash.... - Paul.R.Lindqvist - Dec 2, 2006

Aloha!

Wulinka is right and Jules aswell. Big Grin

Canon flashes cant be triggered as optical slaves. Nikon can.
D200 is the only camera that can control a sb800/sb600 in commander mode (as far as i know)

Irma:
I read that the sb-23 dosent work well with digital cameras ? and that it only ttl meters with film cameras ?

As for the Metz, i would go with it, first flash that can be uppgraded! If you get it please let us know how it performs.

Best of luck.

/Paul L.

I need a flash.... - Irma - Dec 2, 2006

Thanks Paul for your comment... I have order the Metz flash and it will be here within three or five workdays... Let's see how all this goes... I think it has some advantages over the canon one... I don't know about disadvantages yet.... and still it was 120 euro cheaper... Smile

About the sb-23 I have never used it with my D70... I have it as a second light with a slave... I will try some pictures with the D70 and I will tell you... Smile