DSLR Photography Forum
New Camera - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: New Camera (/thread-8726.html)

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 16, 2008

Believe it or not, I walked into our premier camera store here in Winnipeg and purchased a Nikon D40 DSLR along with the kit 18-55 mm and the 55-200 MM (with vibration damping). There was nobody around to stop me and we are getting some retroactive pension money. I'm scared and excited at the same time.

New Camera - matthew - Apr 16, 2008

Wow, I did not expect to read that!

The D40's a great camera, and these days the price is really good. Considering that the 18-55 kit costs less than some P&S cameras (Canon G9, Panasonic LX2) it's probably the best image quality to dollar ratio available. It's a good decision.

The question is whether the Schaeffer aesthetic will carry on in the face of higher optical and sensor quality.... Big Grin

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 16, 2008

First, before I worry about pictures I have avoid being eaten by the Evil Eye.

New Camera - Zig - Apr 16, 2008

Wha!
Knock me down with a feather!
Excellent! As matthew said, this might mean a challenge in the arena of style/signature...Wink They'll call it the beginning of "Schaeffer's Nikon Period" in wikipedia, mark my words. I do still have a very soft spot for Nikon and hope you'll find the relationship a happy one.

New Camera - Rabid Penguin - Apr 16, 2008

Don Schaeffer Wrote:First, before I worry about pictures I have avoid being eaten by the Evil Eye.
The wife? Big Grin

Oh, and congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

New Camera - Irma - Apr 17, 2008

Don Schaeffer Wrote:I'm scared and excited at the same time.
I know well what you mean, Don.

Congratulations on your new camera. Look forward to seeing your pictures.... Wink

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 17, 2008

Thanks guys. No, not my wife--revenge for the Chutzpa.

New Camera - Zig - Apr 17, 2008

Ah Don, surely not? It ain't a prideful thing to be able to accept a blessing surely...? And it's not like something selfish really: it's your creative tool, and you've been blessed with a better toolkit. I think I know what you mean though:If I'd have listened to every guilty voice in my life, I'd have not invested in camera kit or guitars..and us "creative types" get a bit twisted up if we haven't got the tools to express ourselves, don't we?

New Camera - Lighthouse Shooter - Apr 17, 2008

Congratulations Don, the D40 is a very nice camera. I hope you get as much enjoyment from your new Nikon as I do mine.

New Camera - Toad - Apr 17, 2008

Congrats Don...certainly you spend enough time on photography to treat yourself - so really no chutzpa. You will enjoy the new toy very much I think.

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 17, 2008

I agree. It's a great tool. I love the feel of it and the gentle shutter sound.

New Camera - Kombisaurus - Apr 18, 2008

Congrats Don! Hope you're enjoying it.

I'll also be interested to see how this affects your style.

New Camera - guerito - Apr 20, 2008

Congratulations Don! You deserved it. Smile

New Camera - NT73 - Apr 20, 2008

You will have to write a poem about it now.Big Grin

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 20, 2008

The Stretch of My Arm in the Morning (on Buying a New Camera)

I merely stopped sleeping
eyes on the forest
the soft pathways.

I will be safe if I conserve.
This can be a paradise
with all the sugars provided.

Out there
beyond the trees
where my decisions take me,

The Evil Eye awaits,
with a smile
on his face.

New Camera - Toad - Apr 20, 2008

I foresee a new DS phase of very lightly processed photos. Let's see what the Evil Eye has in store...

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 20, 2008

The Evil Eye just wants to cut me down. I have to hide from the Evil Eye. But I think you are right. I have only felt compelled to sharpen one point for the shrunk versions of photos (when i have to shrink to 640 x 480).

New Camera - Wedding Shooter - Apr 22, 2008

Hey Don - sorry to come so late to the thread. I have been extremely busy with wedding/studio work lately I have not had time to hang out here.

Great news - of course you won't be able to be so secretive about your photo taking now Smile

New Camera - Don Schaeffer - Apr 22, 2008

I will find a way to be sneaky and excuse any mistakes.