DSLR Photography Forum
Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Printable Version

+- DSLR Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Digital Photography Forum (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: Main Photography Discussion (https://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: Sandisk Ultra II Ooops (/thread-8928.html)

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - shuttertalk - Jun 8, 2008

I love my Sandisk Ultra II SD card - it has a built in USB connector so I can flip the end open and get away without a memory card reader. Tonight when I flipped it, a little bit of plastic when shooting off - not a good sign.

[Image: 35_sandiskoops.jpg]

As you can see, it's a little bit broke... I wonder if I should keep using it?

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - shuttertalk - Jun 8, 2008

I realise now that the "bit of plastic" that flew off was the write protect switch...

Popped the card back in the camera and the card is now "locked" and I can't seem to unlock it. Sad

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Keith Alan - Jun 8, 2008

Looks like a call to SanDisk is in order.
They seem like a good company to me--probably replace it for free.

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - wulinka - Jun 10, 2008

they should, you would think. How old was this card? did get your pictures off it?
luckily these things are getting cheaper and cheaperI think you can get an 8GB Sandisk Ultra III for the money I bought 2GB Ultra II with a while ago.....

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - shuttertalk - Jun 10, 2008

Yes, I can read the pics off, but not write new ones, unfortunately.
It's not particularly expensive, I think I got it about a year ago, and I've got spares anyway. But maybe it's worthwhile getting in contact with them...

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Wedding Shooter - Jun 10, 2008

They have a lifetime warranty I think. I know my mate's sandisk card broke and he just took it back to the shop and they gave him another one on the spot.

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - shuttertalk - Jun 11, 2008

Hm... good point Chris. Now, if I can only remember where I bought it, and where I kept the receipt! Big Grin

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Irma - Jun 12, 2008

wulinka Wrote:luckily these things are getting cheaper and cheaperI think you can get an 8GB Sandisk Ultra III for the money I bought 2GB Ultra II with a while ago.....
I still trust much more to have few 2GB cards than a 4 or 8GB. I have 4 2GB cards, if one gets broken in the shooting at least I didn't lose all my work, and still I have more cards to work with...

I don't know how the statistics are about this matter, but I have heard much more problems coming from 4 or 8GB cards than from 2.

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Wedding Shooter - Jun 12, 2008

I shoot with 4GB cards. To me the biggest risk is when you change cards - pulling it out, shoving it back in. That said I back up to the SD card in the second slot to be sure.

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Zig - Jun 12, 2008

I suggest we all go back to roll-film for a while...maybe Sandisk will do a retro-styled disc with only room enough for 9 exposures...Big Grin

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - matthew - Jun 12, 2008

Canon still supplies 32MB SD cards with cameras like the G9... you can simulate sheet film with it. Big Grin

Jules, I wouldn't be surprised if you can't just take/send the card back to SanDisk directly.

I used to use 4GB CF cards in the reasoning that I can simply copy them to DVD if I'm ever traveling with them, and I did actually do that once. But since then I've bought a Lexar 8GB 300x card, and have fallen in love with it. I've never had a card failure (and I own 10+ of them) and I always found that I ran out of room on my 4GB cards 2/3 of the way through any significant shoot. Now I don't even bother to carry a second card unless I'm going to be shooting for several days.

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - Keith Alan - Jun 12, 2008

I'm still in the stone age--just bought a 1gb card a few days ago, my biggest yet.
And because of a mismarked display in the very first Staples store in town during grand opening week, I got it for $15 instead of $25. That's a steal for a Memory Stick Pro Duo.

It's a SanDisk.
We use their card readers, Sansa MP3 players, MicroSD card in my phone, etc.

(Like your new sig, M)

Sandisk Ultra II Ooops - wulinka - Jun 13, 2008

matthew Wrote:I used to use 4GB CF cards in the reasoning that I can simply copy them to DVD if I'm ever traveling with them
...that is if you can find a dvd burner!! I remember our trip to central China, no dvd burner for weeks!

Irma, I know, I have seen 16 and even 32GB cards and I would not buy them. I usually get by for one shooting with a 2GB card but also use two 4GB cards non of which have ever given me trouble. Right now I have no reasond to buy anything larger, but seeing that a lot of new cameras have 14 bit color depth etc etc, file size will also increase.

I remember getting a 16mb card with the first digicam I bought, which would be enough for one picture shot with the 5D...:/