Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The New iPad

So, the new iPad has been announced (and no it's not called the iPad 3 or iPad HD, just "iPad"). The biggest change is a retina display (basically doubling the number of horizontal and vertical pixels, from 1024x768 to 2048x1536. This is pretty amazing - it has more dots than most big screen TVs.

There's also a dual core processor now, and a 5 megapixel autofocus camera instead of a 0.7 MP fixed focus.

On the down side, weight and thickness has increased to accommodate a bigger battery (no doubt to power that new display), but the battery life remains the same.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/new-ipad-vs-ipad-2/

The iPad 2 is still going to be sold but at a reduced price point (seems to be a new trend these days).

Now to decide what to do with my iPad 1. I'll probably keep it for the kids - they won't be able to tell the difference between a 1, 2 or 3. Big Grin

By the way, I've posted a little editorial - would love to hear your thoughts...
http://www.shuttertalk.com/2012/03/what-...phers.html

Interesting article about the New Ipad... it launches tomorrow for us here in Oz.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/tablet...6300190219

I find it interesting that despite the new screen, the reviewer says it feels more like a iPad 2S rather than something completely new. Perhaps there aren't any apps which can truly take advantage of the increased resolution yet...

I don't really agree that the iPad can be used as a serious post-production tool. PCs and Macs, yes. Laptops, yes. Tablets, I don't think so. Sure, you can do it but tablet specs are terrible compared to PCs. iPads don't have the processing power and the screen size for serious work...in my opinion.

Nice writeup.

(Mar 15, 2012, 10:57)Z3F Wrote:  I don't really agree that the iPad can be used as a serious post-production tool. PCs and Macs, yes. Laptops, yes. Tablets, I don't think so. Sure, you can do it but tablet specs are terrible compared to PCs. iPads don't have the processing power and the screen size for serious work...in my opinion.

I'm with you on that one. I feel that proper PP requires tight control - virtually on a pixel by pixel level, and a finger on a touch screen just doesn't provide that sort of control.

Yes there was actually a review of the new IOS version of photoshop touch on dpreview, and they said basically the same thing regarding lack of precision.

Funnily enough, the image size is still restricted to 1600x1600 even though the new iPad has arrived.

I was at a church baptism yesterday and there were the usual people up the front taking pictures, but there were also a couple of teenagers taking video on their iPads. Yes - holding ten inch tablets in front of them like a smartphone.

I thought it made for a funny sight... but on the plus side, 10 inch viewfinders look pretty awesome (from where I was sitting anyway).

The last wedding I shot had a guest who shot the whole thing on an iPad. It was odd, and seemed a bit selfish because when he held it up it blocked a lot more of the view for people behind him than a normal camera would, and holding up a big glowing 10" screen is also quite a distraction in a dimly-lit reception hall.
Overall it seemed a bit rude to others, like somebody who talks loudly during a movie.

And at the end of the day, at least with an iPad2 (which I think this was) the video is rubbish. Sad

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

My Wife had her graduation on Saturday for her Masters in Nursing Education. Bought her a New Ipad as a gift for it and while it great for previewing images, trying to do anything more than resize images for the web is pretty pointless so far.

(Apr 23, 2012, 08:40)Kombisaurus Wrote:  The last wedding I shot had a guest who shot the whole thing on an iPad. It was odd, and seemed a bit selfish because when he held it up it blocked a lot more of the view for people behind him than a normal camera would, and holding up a big glowing 10" screen is also quite a distraction in a dimly-lit reception hall.
Overall it seemed a bit rude to others, like somebody who talks loudly during a movie.

Couldn't agree more. That is the point that a lot of people seem to miss. If you aren't going to use a real camera, at least just use your smartphone. Nobody would put up with a guest holding a laptop in the air, but for some reason, the iPad seems to fall outside of this restriction. It shouldn't.

Unless someone speaks up, then the problem will remain. Would you be the one bold and rude enough to speak up?

I personally would, as being deaf to retorts has its usefulness. ;D

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Pavel
Dec 8, 2011, 05:40