Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Battery Grips

Anyone use a battery grip, and if so what is your main reason for using one? Better ergonomics? Extended battery life? Faster shooting rate? Just to look cool?

I tried a friends camera with one and didn't like the extra weight... the extra battery power isn't really a factor, I can get several hours of shooting out of one battery on mine (I rarely use the lcd to review in the field).

I've added battery grips to three different cameras. I suppose I like the look of them, but mostly I prefer the longer grip on the camera body. I usually wouldn't shift to the portrait grip if I was just snapping off a few shots, though.

On the D700 I did frequently use the battery grip to speed up the frame rate, but it was also essential for working with Live View for product photography. Not only was the extra power a huge help, but the side-loading battery chamber meant that I could swap batteries without moving the camera from the tripod – or even turning it off.

I'm going to wait and see how I like the D800 without the grip – the MB-D12 isn't available yet, anyway – but I could see myself adding one eventually.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I would have thought that using a battery grip and the extra weight, would make you look hot rather than cool.

Myself I feel they look quite ugly, even if they are functional.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

For me I've never seen the need to justify the additional bulk and weight - I can usually get a few photo outings on one battery charge, and I don't mind doing the old "armpit expose" to take portraits.

Good points though Matthew, handy if you're into tripod photography a lot I guess...

I did end up buying a battery grip along with my D800; they came in on the same day that I bought the camera, and given Pavel's experience, it does mean that I don't use/change the in-camera battery as much.

I actually prefer the grip on the battery pack better than the one on the camera. And it let me use AA batteries while the one that came with the camera was charging. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I use them - I find that they add more balance to the camera when using a 70-200 2.8 IS lens especially. I also am shooting over an extended time at a wedding and find the extra battery in the grip useful, rather then having to think about changing batteries.

Canon stuff.

(Apr 1, 2012, 09:12)Wedding Shooter Wrote:  I use them - I find that they add more balance to the camera when using a 70-200 2.8 IS lens especially. I also am shooting over an extended time at a wedding and find the extra battery in the grip useful, rather then having to think about changing batteries.

Horses for courses. Along with a tripod. Wink

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post