Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Challenge 2012 April: TOOLS

(Apr 27, 2012, 20:25)NT73 Wrote:  Toads "Hands" won hands down for me, although out of the time frame.

^^^^

+1

A great competition. Super work everybody.

Great Challenge!

First of all, thanks to everybody who liked "Hands". I know it didn't qualify, but I liked it in the theme, and I'm happy that others did too.

Matt's first shot of the steamroller. Must be hideous to post a challenge without a comment for 3 days. Even a snapshot is a bump.

Jules: the light table silhouettes. Sets the tone with a literal translation of the tools theme, but with a great graphic interpretation. Different colors = variations on a theme. Very artsy

NT: the watch...I like it, but I think it might have been improved by losing the words. I see where you are going with this - your photo was plenty good enough to nail the thought. Doesn't need a caption.

Toad: Power Pipes is a nice composition of lines, textures and tones, but doesn't speak to the theme at all. Hands is really quite nice. It speaks to the theme without being literal, and allows the viewer to write the story of the hands himself.

Matt's Ikea shot: expands on Jule's theme with a lovely product shot.

Matt: the hammer shots. These are really quite wonderful in the amount of detail that they show. As you automatically disqualify yourself from the competition, you have used this opportunity to really highlight the resolution of your new D800. Fine with me. Bring it on. Even when you remove the 100% crop aspects from this entry, #1 is really impressive its in own right as an artistic entry. I really like #1.

Slej: the wrenches. I think this was a great winner for a couple of reasons. First, the technical aspects of the photo are first class. DOF, focus, clarity, composition - all set a high bar. On top of that, your entry builds on the interpretations of the theme that have gone before - back to Jule's first entry. While, I'm not saying that all challenges have to be referential to earlier entries, in this case, it was the right call, and the wrenches put the icing on the cake. Well done.

Thanks for the comments on my entry Matthew and Toad... by the way those were my son's toy tools (hence "Toolsies"), which I put on top of an iPad with a blank white screen for backlighting.

For those who have submitted entries, please feel free to share your techniques and/or any other cool tidbits so that we can all learn as well.

Just wanted to thank everyone for participating in this Challenge, and we'll continue to run them as long as there is interest.

I'd encourage everyone to keep entering and also encouraging those that have participated. Thanks as well to those who have offered their comments and critique (a stellar example being Toad) - please feel free to keep doing so.

For the winner of the challenge - congratulations Mitch / slejhamer! Your creation is well deserving, and you pick up a Zenfolio Unlimited account! I'll PM you the details on how to claim your prize.

For the participation prize, drawn at random - congratulations Ray / NT73! You must be doubly lucky, seeing you've already picked up a BlackRapid bag in the last giveaway, or the random number generator website I used likes you. Big Grin Anyhow, your LensCapTrap pro kit will be in the post.

I've got more prizes lined up for the next challenge (hint: lightroom/photoshop presets/actions pack) which I will announce in detail once the next challenge is posted.

Finally a big, no HUGE thank you to Matthew for organising the challenge - picking the theme, brainstorming the structure, roping in random passers-by at his work for judging (Big Grin). These challenges are pretty flexible in nature as we're still finding our feet - so if you have any suggestions please let us know.

Robert, thanks for that; I appreciate the thought you put into all of your comments. You'd better be careful, though, because if you don't enter a given month's competition you could be drafted to be a judge! Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

(Apr 29, 2012, 18:42)shuttertalk Wrote:  For the participation prize, drawn at random - congratulations Ray / NT73! You must be doubly lucky, seeing you've already picked up a BlackRapid bag in the last giveaway, or the random number generator website I used likes you. Big Grin Anyhow, your LensCapTrap pro kit will be in the post.

Almost double lucky Rolleyes but who knows, Christmas may be early this year. Confused

It is a nice feeling to have won regardless. I will put it on my CV. Wink

It has been rather hectic homewise (a new carpet to be fitted next week, and the suite recovered and stuffed, over the next three) so things have to be moved and ornaments put out of the way, along with the TV and all the little boxes, that make it run. The old carpet and underlay to be cut up and taken to the tip.
I managed to take a walk along the canal today while the sun was shining. I took a few pics which I will post later, when processed.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Big surprise this morning. 4 x 60 cent stamps of Australian origin on an envelope addressed to me.
My Lens Cap Trap pro kit. Big Grin
Now to fit it, but to which camera/lens. Another puzzle for me. Huh Big Grin

Many thanks. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Haha, awesome! I'm surprised it got there that soon!

Hope you find it useful!

(Jun 2, 2012, 05:38)shuttertalk Wrote:  Haha, awesome! I'm surprised it got there that soon!

Hope you find it useful!

I'm sure I will. I have a funny feeling, my wife will want a piece of it though. Cool

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Jun 30, 2016, 08:29