Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

? about shooting in RAW

Hello everyone Smile
I posted this question in another thread, but I thought I would re-post to possibly get more insight. (I am a new explorer here, not quite familiar with the site)

I asked about shooting in RAW.
I attend school for photography online (Art Institute) and all of our submissions must be in JPEG format, but we are strongly encouraged to shoot in RAW because of the data retrieval and high quality photos for better editing, etc. My camera has this option, but I have never tried it. Is it possible to convert a RAW image into JPEG for posting to my online classes? Also, is RAW better for printing quality?

Tell me everything you know about this subject, please!

Thanks in advance Smile

If you're serious about photography, always shoot raw and post process your images (into jpegs). I recommend using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for postprocesing and managing your photos. You can download a limited time trial from here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index..._lightroom
If you're a Mac user, you could try Aperture. It must be similar.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Yes it is possible to convert RAW to Jpeg ,TIFF, or whatever.

RAW is the data from the sensor in digital form.

You can not see this without either using a program which allows it or changing to a format such as Jpeg or similar.
You will see it on the camera, as the necessary program to allow you to view it, is built in.

You really need to google 'What is RAW" and see what comes up. Some sites will be too technical and others too simple.
Ignore 'Raw eggs' or similar. Big Grin

As a start try wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format
or
http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/post-...u-need-it/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

(Feb 4, 2013, 07:59)vlad Wrote:  If you're serious about photography, always shoot raw and post process your images (into jpegs). I recommend using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom for postprocesing and managing your photos. You can download a limited time trial from here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index..._lightroom
If you're a Mac user, you could try Aperture. It must be similar.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you, Vlad! I have the full version of Lightroom as well as Photoshop. In school, we learn about shooting RAW but for some reason I have been afraid of it. I almost forgot about it as an option. Some courses want us to use JPEG and the rest want RAW. The course I am taking now wants RAW so I definitely need to go out and experiment with it. Learn it. Etc. Thank you for responding. This was a huge help! Little did I know I had the tools to do it already! Yay! Big Grin

(Feb 4, 2013, 08:05)NT73 Wrote:  Yes it is possible to convert RAW to Jpeg ,TIFF, or whatever.

RAW is the data from the sensor in digital form.

You can not see this without either using a program which allows it or changing to a format such as Jpeg or similar.
You will see it on the camera, as the necessary program to allow you to view it, is built in.

You really need to google 'What is RAW" and see what comes up. Some sites will be too technical and others too simple.
Ignore 'Raw eggs' or similar. Big Grin

As a start try wiki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_image_format
or
http://photo.tutsplus.com/articles/post-...u-need-it/

Thank you for responding, NT73!
Both of those links helped me out a lot! I am excited to go out and try it now. I really appreciate the responses here. Much help! I had a few things I was wrong about with RAW, so this eased my mind a lot. I am going to practice with it now. The course I am currently taking requires us to use RAW (and I can see why). I just didn't want to set my camera to RAW and then not know what to do next! Thanks again Smile

The good thing about shooting in raw is that you can restore a lot of detail in shadows. A lot more information is saved in the image (the file size is larger).

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

As stated by everyone previously, RAW is the way to go for sure. Adjusting exposure in post is a definet huge benefit but for me it's being able to adjust the color. Some of the product and ALL of the fashion I shoot are very color critical. Have fun with it and once you get comfortable in working with the format you'll never want to shoot anything else.

RAW is a digital negative! - That's the most important thing you should keep in mind! All the details that you see with your eyes, you can achieve by processing a RAW file. It's quite simple and clear actually!

Thank you all for your responses. I have learned a lot here and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I am definitely seeing the difference now and enjoying the new possibilities! Thanks again Smile
Everyone is so nice and helpful here.

(Feb 20, 2013, 16:11)alessya Wrote:  RAW is a digital negative! - That's the most important thing you should keep in mind! All the details that you see with your eyes, you can achieve by processing a RAW file. It's quite simple and clear actually!

Explained beautifully.Smile

(Feb 28, 2013, 12:40)Artsiegrrrl Wrote:  Thank you all for your responses. I have learned a lot here and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. I am definitely seeing the difference now and enjoying the new possibilities! Thanks again Smile
Everyone is so nice and helpful here.

I'm glad you found it useful. Smile

You are more than welcome! Smile

Thank you, Vlad! I have the full version of Lightroom as well as Photoshop. In school, we learn about shooting RAW but for some reason I have been afraid of it. I almost forgot about it as an option. Some courses want us to use JPEG and the rest want RAW. The course I am taking now wants RAW so I definitely need to go out and experiment with it. Learn it. Etc. Thank you for responding. This was a huge help! Little did I know I had the tools to do it already! Yay! Big Grin
[/quote]

Hi,
I can sort of relate to a 'fear' of RAW. I was oblivious to its existence (or more probably simply didn't pay any attention to it) until I looked at a booklet on shooting in RAW that came free with a photography magazine. I'd not long purchased my first full on DSLR camera at the time and was happily pinging off JPEG images (mainly in auto!) at the time, so 'technical stuff' like RAW was a definite no-no!
Eventually I bit the bullet, changed the setting on my camera and went for it, albeit with not a little trepidation. I cursed, fought, cried and screwed up frequently whilst trying to use the supplied post- processing program to begin with, but gradually began to grasp it all and appreciate how it improved some of my many screwed up images!
Now I shoot only in RAW, and have recently purchased Lightroom 4 (whereupon the cursing, fighting, crying and screw ups have naturally started afresh of course!)
But hey, it's worth the extra time post editing as RAW is, quite frankly, the only way to go in my humble opinion.

Yes, it's the only way to go. Lightroom is just another tool for you to use, just like your camera.

When the camera takes the digital image, all the data is available in the Raw file. It is a large file and the camera manipulates it and then stores a smaller file as a Jpeg. All the data that the camera manipulates is lost unless you also keep the RAW, this will normally be in your camera menu settings. I normally store RAW + JPEG basic, the jpeg basic is fine for a quick review or emailing, but the RAW keeps all the captured data to allow for post processing, of for instance, exposure, colour temperature, shadows, hi-lights etc. When memory was more expensive and card sizes were limited, then it was often a choice between detain or number of images. Now with cheap large capacity cards available, it is easy to go for both.

Tony

(Feb 20, 2013, 16:11)alessya Wrote:  RAW is a digital negative! - That's the most important thing you should keep in mind! All the details that you see with your eyes, you can achieve by processing a RAW file. It's quite simple and clear actually!

Best and simple explanation. Although over exposed highlight mostly are hard to recover losing details. Better watch out that area. For me in my experience its better to go under expose than over expose even when sooting in RAW.

(Apr 15, 2013, 04:45)vlad Wrote:  Yes, it's the only way to go. Lightroom is just another tool for you to use, just like your camera.

True Vlad, but you've got to know how to use the tools, and the learning curve is a bugger! Undecided

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post