Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average

computer advice

(Jan 4, 2014, 15:09)gerainte Wrote:  My computer is giving up, very slow. I'm taking RAW photos. Has any one any suggestions as to what to replace my computer with? I don't really want to go over £500. I know nothing about computers.
You must regularly delete temporary files and defrag that is why your computer is running slowly,

Hello OZMAN,

Welcome to the photography forums! Glad to have you here!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

(Jan 4, 2014, 15:31)gerainte Wrote:  Hi Leeds, England. I think so, Windows 7 is what i have now. memory, 2GB ram, 219 hard drive of which 10 is empty.The computer is a Compact which I've had for 4 years. Now I've started taking pictures a bit more seriously and using RAW the machine is struggling.

Hi win7 needs at least 4gig of ram to run properly but if you have win 7 32bit op system it will only recognise 3 gig of ram

Windows generally, likes at least twice it's size of spare hard drive, 10Gb is not really enough. Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 4, 2014, 15:22)EdMak Wrote:  What part of the world are you in? Do you need a new operating System, what version are you using at the moment. How much memory do you have, what size hard drive. For £500, you should get a very good system, a Tower only may suffice, if you are happy with your monitor etc. Lack of Memory, can slow up a computer. Ed.

If I might suggest?
Ebay is usually a good site for 2nd hand computers. I presume that your existing is a Compaq, (rather than a compact), It may be that an external Hard Drive MAY provide a solution rather than additional Hard Drives. I would certainly upgrade the memory, (Crucial have a free checker on their site.), I hav 4 Gb and I find that adequate. Certainly I would suggest that 10Mb of unused space is probably inadequate). I agree with your other informant that you probably only need a Tower, if you are satisfied with your existin monitor and printer.

thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice, bit the bullet and given a large amount of dosh to Apple, my partner has one and I can nag her for help though she tells me I won't need any! Got an external storage too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by cuilin
Sep 15, 2015, 17:36