Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

(Dec 22, 2015, 13:20)Jocko Wrote:  For the non maths minded all will be revealed on Friday.

This is a 'family friendly' forum John, so, don't go 'revealing' too much mate. Smile

Regards.

Phil.

What's on on Friday. Ed, aka Scrooge.

To each his own!

(Dec 22, 2015, 12:51)EdMak Wrote:  Reciprocating. Ed.

Would that be similar to a 'reciprocating engine' Ed? Smile

Take it no one has solved my equation yet?

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

John, I reciprocated, wished you a Merry Xmas. Ed.

To each his own!

Yes I appreciated that, Ed. But did you actually solved the equation???

y = ln(x/m -sa)/ r^2
y = ln(x/m -sa)/ r^2
yr^2 = ln(x/m-sa)
e^ (yr^2) = x/m - sa
m(e^ (yr^2) + sa ) = x
me^(yr^2) = x-mas
me^(rry) = x-mas
MErry X-Mas friends
ME & You

To each his own!

Well done.

And a Happy Christmas to all the forumites.

And the same to you too, John T.
Greetings and Best Wishes to you and yours.
Mike.

My wife paid for my Google/Nik software, for my Christmas, so today we sat down and I showed her what it did. I don't think she was all that impressed!
She has an iPhone and occasionally uses it for taking photos, but they are rubbish. I know the iPhone takes reasonable photos but my wife doesn't understand she has to hold the phone steady, or that she has to wait until it focusses. I have been trying to show her what to do, but she is not really interested. I then struggle trying to get a half reasonable finished image for her, from what she gives me to work with. Dear oh dear.

I was given a Kindle Fire for Christmas and it has a couple of built in cameras. The main camera is 2Mp but, as there is no control over settings, I feel it is back to the early days of phone cameras. I have tried it out, in the house, but with no flash the images are mostly noise. What I need is a nice day so I can get out and try it in sunshine.
My phone, a Nokia N8, was the best camera, in a phone, in its day. Even that leaves a lot to be desired. Here are some of my phone images.

Nokia N8, 1/100 sec, f2.8, ISO 120.

Nokia N8, 1/310 sec, f2.8, ISO 104.

Nokia N8, 1/270 sec, f2.8, ISO 105.

And a few more taken with my phone. It is handy as it is always in my pocket.

Nokia N8, 1/35 sec, f2.8, ISO 247, built in flash.

Nokia N8, 1/900 sec, f2.8, ISO 105.

Nokia N8, 1/300 sec, f2.8, ISO 105.

Nokia N8. 1/290 sec, f2.8, ISO 105.

The funny ISO numbers are due to the fact the camera uses the ISO as part of the exposure calculation, being as the aperture is fixed.
The lens is a Carl Zeiss Tessar 2.8/28 and the camera is 12Mp. I never use the "telephoto" option. I crop in post processing.

John, you haven't told us what these photographs are. The bridges might be obvious to many but probably not the others. Huh

Cheers.
Philip

(Dec 28, 2015, 15:11)MrB Wrote:  John, you haven't told us what these photographs are. The bridges might be obvious to many but probably not the others. Huh

Cheers.
Philip

The first 3 show Burntisland Links and a Category C listed drinking fountain, the Forth Railway Bridge and Victoria Hospital in Kirkcaldy (taken on my final day of working there prior to my retirement).
The second group are my cat, Lucy, North Queensferry and the Forth Road Bridge, Kirkcaldy's pedestrianised High Street and Kirkcaldy beach. I didn't give too much detail as I was really just showing what the camera phone was capable of.

Thank you, John. It's always interesting to know the locations at which good photos were shot, in addition to however they were taken. The phone has done its job well here but, although it can measure the general light and it might even know where it is, it didn't decide to take these photos, so the real credit still belongs to the photographer. Smile

Cheers.
Philip

Funny you said "might even know where it is". Tried out my Kindle Fire camera (jury is out) and it recorded its location. The Fire was shooting out a smeared window and into the sun, so I will give it a better opportunity to perform before I post anything here.

My car was in for its MOT this morning (it passed), always a worry for a car approaching 16 years of age. I had taken my Kindle Fire with me, so I could read my book while I waited, so on my return I took a couple of photographs.

Fire HD, 1/50 sec, f2.8 ISO 116.

Not a particularly great quality of image. You certainly wouldn't buy a Kindle Fire for its camera. Current mobile phones have much better cameras and we all carry one (well most of us do).

Of course it passed its MOT, 'its a VOLVO' Smile Although I'd recommend getting the rusty bits sorted out before next year. Volvos pay back in spades for a bit of TLC.

Cheers.

Phil.

It needs at least one, more likely two new wings. Being a Series II they are hard to comeby secondhand, and very expensive new. This years is the decider as to whether I repair it or scrap it.

Hi John,

Ever thought of 'third party wings'? I had a V70AWD (P1) which had done best part of 350,000 on the clock when I sold it and I understand that since then shes done another 75,000 without problems. I'm now running a V70 T5 (P2A) and I'm delighted with her. My son has an S60 D5 which has now covered about 170,000 and is not only still going strong but is immaculate as well, before that he had an S40 which was a magnificent car. He only traded it after he drove my T5 and decided he wanted more GO Smile . He's got a GT86 (Scubi/Toyota cross) as well.

I'm enjoying all your pics, so 'keep em coming'!! I have a pall who lives up around the Elgin area and a lot of your shots remind me of where he and his family live. It's a beautiful place to be.

Best regards.

Phil.

A new wing, even third party, is an expensive option, especially after you have to paint it. I love the S40, having had it for nine years. It has only done 128,000 miles so is barely run in. It has a full service history, and being an automatic has never been stressed. Yesterday, I was given an advisory for a bit of corrosion at front of that sill, so it will depend on my son-in-law's opinion (he's a mechanic) as to whether he can get the work done at a reasonable price. Once he is free I will get him to check it out. Probably a job for the better weather.
Glad you like the pics. I have many more of them!

Here are some pictures especially for you, Phil. Taken on my last visit to Elgin.

War Memorial outside St Giles.
Nikon D80, 1/80 sec, f4.5, ISO 100, 27mm lens equivalent.

Elgin town centre.
Nikon D80, 1/160 sec, f6.3, ISO 100, 78mm lens equivalent.

St Giles clock, Elgin.
Nikon D80, 1/320 sec, f5.3, ISO 100, 99mm lens equivalent.

I am currently working my way through my photo collection, selecting images I feel could have been processed a lot better. All these images are JPEG's and I have not retained the original, unprocessed files! Now I shoot in raw and I keep all the unadulterated raw files, allowing me to go back to them as my abilities and software improves.
So here is the image of Edinburgh Old Town, as originally processed.

And as reprocessed this evening.

Nikon D80, 1/250 sec, f11, ISO 400, 112mm lens equivalent.

John,

Loved your Elgin pictures. They're just as I remember it and you were so fortunate with the weather. Your images look 'so clean and shiny', are you sure you don't produce those 'picture postcards' on sale in 'every good post office or tourist information centre'? 'Stamps extra of course'!!

Regards. Smile

Phil.

Today, after our discussions on raw v JPEG, I picked up my Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z3 and took some photos of my star "model", Lucy. The first image showed me my classic mistake. I thought the camera was set to Auto but it was set to Manual. A totally useless exposure. But was it.
Remember that this is a fairly low quality JPEG image (3.9 Mp), after about an hour with Lightroom and Photoshop CS4 I was able to produce a perfectly acceptable photo. I say "acceptable", it will never win a photo competition, but for the target audience, the immediate family, it is a good photo of their favourite pet.
Here are the two images, as a JPEG image straight from the camera, and after a lot of exposure compensation.

Dimage Z3, 1/80 sec, f6,3, ISO 100, 420mm lens equivalent, onboard flash.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59