Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Jocko's Photo Diary.

The one with the kids is superb, and as you say, the subdued colour really make it happen.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Finally, after a fortnight, I got round to post processing of a couple of my Kirkcaldy Links Market shots. Here is one I like, of the Waltzers. "Scream if you want to go faster".

Nikon D80, Manual mode, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens, 1/15 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 31mm lens equivalent, processed with Lightroom 6.5 and Nik Software.

Well well worth the effort John. Ed.

To each his own!

I thought it was a great photo but was disappointed to find that there was no one in the car facing the camera. I then looked though all the images I had taken of the ride to find there were only two passengers, total. The shot that showed them was rubbish. That's what comes of going down there on a cold, midweek, afternoon!

Nikon D80, Maual mode, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 67mm lens equivalent, processed using Lightroom 6.5 - Nik Software - PS4.

Super concept John. Ed.

To each his own!

I think that they are both good shots, John, even though there are few riders.

Perhaps, for most people, they were spinning just too fast on that day!

[ Using Radial Blur in PaintShop Pro X8 ]

Cheers.
Philip

Now that is good. It could be packed for all anyone would know. Well done. I never thought of that.

I was struggling with this panorama, trying to use Photoshop CS4. I couldn't get the colours to match, even with Match Color, though all the exposures had the same exposure and white balance. I eventually tried merging them is Lightroom 6.5.1 and it was a success. I assume it uses an improved CS6 merge engine. I know some of you don't like panoramas but I think they have their place, given the right subject matter.

Kirkcaldy from Dysart 20-4-2016.

Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/400 sec, f11, ISO 250, 120mm lens equivalent. Raw images, merged in Lightroom 6.5.1 and processed using Nik Software.

(May 1, 2016, 04:25)Jocko Wrote:  I know some of you don't like panoramas but I think they have their place, given the right subject matter.

You have produced a good image, John but, as you imply here, it is a matter of personal taste and I belong to the 'not keen' group.

I think it is more to do with the so-called 'letterbox format' rather than being a panorama - this squashed format gives me a feeling of claustrophobia, which seems to be contrary to the purpose of a panoramic view.

The technique works better for me when the individual shots are captured with the camera in portrait orientation, and stitched to give a final landscape image format up to about 5:2 ratio. This would enable more foreground to be included in photos such as yours here.

Your image gives me a strong desire to see what there is below this side of the wall, which is what I would be able to see if I was standing there, unless I was trapped in a pillbox looking through one of its narrow gun apertures.

Cheers.
Philip

I always view panoramic shots by filling my monitor to its full height, and panning round the image. Lightroom has a Fill setting which does this for you.

Here are three HDR images, created using Lightroom 6.5.1. All are taken with my Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.6-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/320 sec, ISO 200. The aperture was varied between one and two stops in each of the pairs used for the Merge.

The first is of my t-rusty old Volvo.

The second a view over to Firth of Forth, towards Edinburgh.

And the final one of Kirkcaldy's seafront.

All were taken on the 20th April, this year.

(May 2, 2016, 10:58)Jocko Wrote:  Here are three HDR images, created using Lightroom 6.5.1. All are taken with my Nikon D80, 70-300mm f/4.6-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/320 sec, ISO 200. The aperture was varied between one and two stops in each of the pairs used for the Merge.

The first is of my t-rusty old Volvo.

The second a view over to Firth of Forth, towards Edinburgh.

And the final one of Kirkcaldy's seafront.

All were taken on the 20th April, this year.

Hi Jocko,

You must of been down to the lowest (70MM) to get enough DOF for those shots.

On another subject that you posted about slow browser, the amount of physical ram on your computer can make a BIG difference when trying to render large files that you may have shot or processed in PS or PSP.

Photoshop is a notorious for being a memory hog and in the late 90s when I first started to use it, I had to constantly watch the memory it used up.

If you have a fairly new laptop, you might consider checking with a computer store on the cost of adding an additional memory chip to the laptop.

my 2 cents

These images were 140mm (210mm lens equivalent), 70mm (105mm lens equivalent) and again, 140mm (210mm lens equivalent).
I have no problems handling huge image files. I have 8Gb of installed memory with 650Gb free on my hard drive. I run Windows 10.
Issue I experience with Shuttertalk seems to be since the latest upgrade of Chrome. I am now using Firefox and everything is working fine.
Thanks for the advice. I know who to ask for IT support!!

Delighted to read that you are now up and running just fine, John T. Looking forward to viewing more of your excellent content.
It is also good to know that we have a resident IT guru on the site.
Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Here is another shot from my "Links Market" collection, taken a month ago.
I call this one "Enthusiasts at the Links Market".

Nikon D80, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens, Manual mode, 1/800 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 55mm lens equivalent.

Another one from my Links Market series. This one I call "Pandamonium".

Nikon D80, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6mm VR lens, Manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 69mm lens equivalent, processed with Lightroom and Nik Software.

Super John, as is the title, look good B & W! Ed.

To each his own!

Like the angle of this shot John and, as Ed says, great title. Did you win one ?
Cheers, Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

(May 10, 2016, 02:15)Browser Mike Wrote:  Did you win one ?

Not me. I am old enough and wise enough to know I would be cheaper importing a real one from China.

One more from that cold, miserable day.

All the Fun of the Fair.

Nikon D80, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6mm VR lens, Manual mode, 1/1000 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 63mm lens equivalent, processed with Lightroom and Nik Software.

Cracking shot, Jocko!

And what's more, there are people in the seats !. Rather them than me.
Great shot John.
Mike.

Henri Cartier - Bresson.

That's a great capture, John. The young people seem to show a whole range of feelings, from thrill to fear to unconscious! I agree with Mike - much prefer to be sitting in a seat firmly on the ground!

(What would you think about removing the extra bit of technology, bottom right?)

Cheers.
Philip

(May 11, 2016, 10:37)MrB Wrote:  What would you think about removing the extra bit of technology, bottom right?

I had actually considered that. May revisit the unsharpened TIFF, and give it a go.

Cracking John, removing the appendage is a must. Ed.

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59