Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Night photography

Hi all

I failed to find a thread on the forum for night photography but wanted to share a couple of slightly shaky hand held attempts at night shots taken recently for your observations. Here they are, then.

Regards

Jeff

Attached Files Image(s)

Jeff, the second seems to be suffering most from the shooting conditions and needs a bit of straightening up, but also it has the appearance of being a small crop from an original image? The first looks pretty good - nicely composed and lovely reflections. The third is an interesting shot of a busy Christmas scene and the image quality looks very good - the exposure and colour balance appear spot on to me.

Cheers.
Philip

2nd one has potential, have another go at editing. Ed.

To each his own!

Jeff, those are nice and colourful, which always makes for a good night scene. I agree that with Philip and Ed that the 2nd shot, of the London Eye, could be straightened a bit and that it has potential for improvement with some tweaking. It's your third shot that I like - but then I like street shots.....

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Thanks guys, I love a comment and a bit of a challenge. The second shot is a half crop - the left of the picture was worse than the right half! I feel encouraged to revisit with a tripod and try again. All the best. Jeff

I posted a comment to these images yesterday but, along with other stuff I posted, it has disappeared. I like all three images, but, like Graham, my favourite is the first.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(Jan 30, 2016, 13:31)Jocko Wrote:  I posted a comment to these images yesterday but, along with other stuff I posted, it has disappeared. I like all three images, but, like Graham, my favourite is the first.

I have not deleted any posts recently and the settings do not allow anyone to delete posts per se, so please let me know if anyone sees anything strange and I will send an update to the admin.

Thanks,
Barbara

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

I haven't done a lot of night photography. Some of the shots in my archive go back a while. One of my favorites was taken way back when God was a boy, in 1967! A friend had come to visit who had been given a new Pentax S1A with 50mm f1.8 Super Takumar and a 28mm f3.5 Auto MC Soligor. I grabbed a tripod, loaded a roll of Agfa CT18, mounted the 28mm and took it and it's owner down to the foreshore. As luck would have it, the sun was setting and there was no wind. This is the shot I took to demonstrate the use of a 28mm lens. If I remember correctly, exposure was 15secs at f5.6.

GrahamS

Melrose Abbey, lighten up for Xmas.
Local War Memorial.
Both taken a few years ago. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

To each his own!

Nice images, Ed. The Abbey has a very "Halloweenish" atmosphere.

GrahamS

Great images. Love the "snow" shot.

Here is a night image of mine, from many years back, copied (badly). from an old Ektachrome.

The exposure was achieved by opening the lens full up and waiting until the train stopped completely. I then opened the shutter, on B, holding it open until I heard the guard buzz the driver to move off. I then closed the shutter. Any more passengers waiting to board and it would have been overexposed! The passengers sitting on the train helped my photograph by sitting reasonably still.

Remarkable, given the circumstances, great uprights! Ed.

To each his own!

(Jan 31, 2016, 09:40)Jocko Wrote:  Great images. Love the "snow" shot.

So do I. Mind you, we're talking Ed here so anything less than 10+ isn't up to snuff, as he sets incredibly high standards. Having said that, it does give us mere mortals something to aim for Smile. Good for Ed, instruction by example. What's not to like?

Regards.

Phil.

(Jan 31, 2016, 10:10)Jocko Wrote:  Here is a night image of mine, from many years back, copied (badly). from an old Ektachrome.

The exposure was achieved by opening the lens full up and waiting until the train stopped completely. I then opened the shutter, on B, holding it open until I heard the guard buzz the driver to move off. I then closed the shutter. Any more passengers waiting to board and it would have been overexposed! The passengers sitting on the train helped my photograph by sitting reasonably still.

Ah, the 'Night Train' John. You captured a wonderful 'feel' in your image. The warmth inside the train itself and the cold on the platform.

Good tune too, 'Night train'. Recordings from artists as diverse as 'Earl Bostik to James Brown' with a lot of stops in between including 'Louis Prema & King Curtis'. I'm showing my age Now. Smile

Keep em' coming'

Regards.

Phil.

John, your Night Train has more mixed lighting than a fun fair! You handled it very well. The skin tone of the passenger in the train is as neutral as can be. Bravo!

GrahamS

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post