Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Difficulty accessing Shuttertalk.

I am having extreme difficulty accessing Shuttertalk at the moment. Problem started yesterday. I get in to begin with, but then when I try to move around, everything just hangs. I do not have issues using the rest of the Internet. I have tried shutting and restarting my browser, terminating and restarting my mobile broadband and even swapping my SIM to another account. Still the same. It is getting so it is a pain to visit here.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Sorry to read that, John, particularly as you are one of the most regular contributors. The only suggestion that comes to mind is to clear the browser cache - on my PC I regularly use a free program, Wise Disk Cleaner, to clear out all the rubbish files.

Hope it sorts itself out soon.

Cheers.
Philip

Try another Browser. Ed.

To each his own!

No problems here, John.
Suggestion from Philip is excellent I run System Mechanic Pro and the rubbish it gets rid of is enormous.
May also be worth running a Malware Scan.
Hope you get back to normal operation soon.
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

If you have another browser installed try it, see if there is still a problem. Most likely either a corrupted file in the browser cache. As already suggested clear out temp files and browser cache.

I'd think malware but as you don' t have a problem on other sites that seems unlikely.

Cache cleared. Browser makes no difference. Malaware unlikely as I have good Antivirus/malaware software, which updates and runs every couple of days. It just seems to be when I go to a last new post. It loads then freezes. I cannot scroll the page, nothing. Visit another site then come back here and it works. I think the poor broadband is my biggest issue. large image files (or many of them) can take an age to load.

Take your Laptop to a friend, who has a fast connection, hard wire if possible, if not, log on and see what happens. Ed.

To each his own!

John, you might perhaps research those free programs that can stop adverts from downloading with web pages. I don't know anything much about them, having never used them, as I have fast optical cable Internet here, but they might help with a slow connection.

Cheers.
Philip

(May 5, 2016, 00:45)Jocko Wrote:  Cache cleared. Browser makes no difference. Malaware unlikely as I have good Antivirus/malaware software, which updates and runs every couple of days. It just seems to be when I go to a last new post. It loads then freezes. I cannot scroll the page, nothing. Visit another site then come back here and it works. I think the poor broadband is my biggest issue. large image files (or many of them) can take an age to load.

Hi Jocko,

Do you know how to get to a Command Prompt?

If not, what is your operating system-Windows 7/8/8.1/10 ?

If yes,

Type in: ipconfig/flushdns

You should see a new line that says: Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache.

Then close the window, close and open all browser windows.

If that doesn't work and you happen to have Windows XP, try this:

Go to Start/Run and type in-prefetch.

A folder will open with a bunch of files. They are just temp files and can be safely deleted, so ....

CTL +A to hilight all of them. Then hit the delete key. Ignore the warning, just say Yes to Delete All.

That's a start. Let me know.

Pegger3D

Thanks guys. It appears to be a Google Chrome issue. I think I will change to Firefox. Chrome gave me a work around.

Downloaded Ad Blocker Pro and it is brilliant.

John, have you tried the Opera Browser for PC - I've used it for many years without any problems.

http://www.opera.com

Cheers.
Philip

Never tried Opera. Just installed Firefox.

(May 5, 2016, 15:14)Jocko Wrote:  Never tried Opera. Just installed Firefox.
Hi Jocko,

There are other things that you can do to try to speed up your system.

One is install CCleaner (Free) to clear out lots of old files not needed.

If you have a poor internet connection, I strongly suggest that if you have at least Windows 7 to do the free upgrade to Windows 10.

With a slow connection, it will take hours, but will be worth it in the long-run.

Unlike other Microsoft OS upgrades in the past that bloated the system and did not improve performance, Windows 10 is twice as fast as older OSs.

It also has a browser called Edge, which is light years faster than Firefox.

If you don't believe a long time computer geek, see if a local computer store will do the upgrade for you. Most will do it for nothing as a business promo.

I just upgraded a friend's crappy laptop that he had Windows 7 on and it is now twice as fast (although there is only so much you can do with poor components)Tongue.

my 2 cents.Big Grin

(May 5, 2016, 17:29)Pegger3D Wrote:  
Hi Jocko,

If you have a poor internet connection, I strongly suggest that if you have at least Windows 7 to do the free upgrade to Windows 10.

With a slow connection, it will take hours, but will be worth it in the long-run.

Unlike other Microsoft OS upgrades in the past that bloated the system and did not improve performance, Windows 10 is twice as fast as older OSs.

If you don't believe a long time computer geek, see if a local computer store will do the upgrade for you. Most will do it for nothing as a business promo.

I just upgraded a friend's crappy laptop that he had Windows 7 on and it is now twice as fast (although there is only so much you can do with poor components)Tongue.

my 2 cents.Big Grin

PS:

If you have a slow provider you should call their support.

https://www.multitest.me/internet-provid...kirkcaldy/

Link to a Speed Test in your area.

(May 5, 2016, 17:35)Pegger3D Wrote:  
(May 5, 2016, 17:29)Pegger3D Wrote:  
Hi Jocko,

my 2 cents.Big Grin

PS:

If you have a slow provider you should call their support.

https://www.multitest.me/internet-provid...kirkcaldy/

Link to a Speed Test in your area.
PPS:

http://www.uswitch.com/broadband/local/kirkcaldy/

Link to alternate providers.

Wow, 50 Megabytes for 4 pounds. I pay $40 CAD /Mth for 25 MBs.

Thanks for that. I would love fast broadband, but unfortunately I live in a rented, furnished flat, and I am not allowed to install cable or a landline (despite the building being serviced with fast fibre cable). I have a mobile phone and 3G mobile broadband. 4G would be faster, but the cost and data limits make it not a viable option. I only use the internet for a bit of shopping and the occasional social media, such as Shuttertalk. Paying out more, from my pension, is not something I can justify.
I have Edge (Windows 10) but never use it. The main reason being, my wife, who is a big internet user and technophobe, is used to Chrome, so I have stuck with that. Firefox is very similar so hopefully she will adapt to that.

Just a note. I use Cleanmaster for Junk removal, did try CC bit it screwed me up a bit, that was some time ago.
Evert time I download and install anything, after installing, I run Geek, a stand alone uninstaller. In spite of checking carefully for additional unwanted programmes, some slip through. When this is launched, click at, top right, Installed on, and recent installations will show, right click on any you did not want! and choose Uninstall, Force removal, will also work. When it is finished, if it requires a restart, say, No/Later, as Geek will run twice, second time to remove leftovers. If you have never used before, look at all the programmes, see if you do not recognize some!!
Once you have run your Malware prog, run ADWCleaner, again, stand alone, and see what it missed.
Free programmes, trusted. Al.

http://www.geekuninstaller.com/download

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownl...dwcleaner/

http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/clean-master-for-pc/

Remember, To each his own!! Ed.

To each his own!

Downloaded all three programmes and I have run Cleanmaster and ADWCleaner. Geek didn't find anything unexpected when I run that.

The "Best" I have seen from Cleanmaster, was, 13Gb. Ed.

To each his own!

I've been a firefox user since it's first incarnation on the Mozilla Community Forums in 2003 I thionk it was. (it was called Pheonix back then) Always been happy with it's speed and stability.

I've tried the others as they have come along and just haven't liked how they work or the hoops you have to jump through to get some addons etc.

Firefox and GreaseMonkey make a very reliable and adaptable browser for my uses.

(May 6, 2016, 03:37)Jocko Wrote:  Downloaded all three programmes and I have run Cleanmaster and ADWCleaner. Geek didn't find anything unexpected when I run that.

You should still flush the DNS cache.

With Window 10, right click on the Windows icon, and from the list of options choose-command prompt (about half way down).

A black small window will open.

Just start typing-ipconfig/flushdns

The response should be- "Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache".

Then just close the window and close and open your browser.

Did that too, thanks, and I have not had any problems for the last few days.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Mar 22, 2020, 15:49