Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RE: Unable to open RAW file in CS6

Hi all, I've been using CS6 for around 6 months now after upgrading camera from D3100 to D7200. Over the weekend I switched back to my D3100 and edited my RAW files fine but now when I try and edit anything taken on the D7200 or the D3100 it won't open the file in. Slightly panicking because I have two family photo shoots tomorrow. Just noticed none of the files are showing up in ViewNX2 either. Can anyone help?

2 replies in other thread. Ed.

To each his own!

(May 5, 2016, 12:14)EdMak Wrote:  2 replies in other thread. Ed.

Thanks Ed, I've had a go at reinstalling but not had much luck. Not very techy unfortunately. Will have to admit defeat and wait for hubby to have a look!

What operating system on computer. Ed.

To each his own!

(May 5, 2016, 14:03)EdMak Wrote:  What operating system on computer. Ed.

Windows 10, but if you're about to try and walk me through something, you'll wish you hadn't started, trust me !!!

Is it just recent files you have tried opening, or have you tried opening some that were okay before? I was wondering if the files downloaded from your card are corrupt.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

(May 5, 2016, 14:29)Jocko Wrote:  Is it just recent files you have tried opening, or have you tried opening some that were okay before? I was wondering if the files downloaded from your card are corrupt.

Yes new and old ones, that were fine before. Don't know if it's a coincidence but it seems to be since I worked on files from the old camera (Nikon D3100). I haven't used that camera for about 6 months. The message I get says, make sure you have the latest Camera Raw Updates installed, then I click the link it takes me to and i get lost from there.

Do you get the option to disregard? Lightroom tells me the same, every now and again, but I can ignore it.

Not really sure what type of file you are trying to open, but, get hubby to go to Control Panel, Default Programs, and see what is associated with what. Can change via top right.

Set a Restore point before you do anything, then you can go back. If you have a Restore Point, on a date that you know all was OK, try it first, can reverse this if necessary. Ed.

To each his own!

(May 5, 2016, 14:18)Lindy Wrote:  

Windows 10, but if you're about to try and walk me through something, you'll wish you hadn't started, trust me !!!
Hi Lindy,

I think your issue is the SD card, not the software.

If you move an SD from one camera to another, or even to a different slot in the same camera, the issue can come up.

Is that what you did? And do you already have backup copies of the pix from the old camera on your computer?

Are you using the Nikon ViewNX Software to download your images to your computer?

When you turn on the new camera and go to the View, can you see the pictures that you took?

Once you answer those questions, I may be able to help you further.

(May 8, 2016, 21:17)Pegger3D Wrote:  

Hi Lindy,

If you move an SD from one camera to another, or even to a different slot in the same camera, the issue can come up.

Is that what you did? And do you already have backup copies of the pix from the old camera on your computer?

Are you using the Nikon ViewNX Software to download your images to your computer?

When you turn on the new camera and go to the View, can you see the pictures that you took?

Hi, Hubby has managed to fix the problem for me. I couldn't tell you exactly how, but I know he reinstalled something 9.1.1 ! I was switching my SD card from one camera to another, so that may well have been the problem. Still very much learning as I go along, it's great to have you guys on hand. Thanks for all the help.

Glad you are back in business.

(May 9, 2016, 04:41)Lindy Wrote:  
(May 8, 2016, 21:17)Pegger3D Wrote:  

Hi Lindy,

Hi, Hubby has managed to fix the problem for me. I couldn't tell you exactly how, but I know he reinstalled something 9.1.1 ! I was switching my SD card from one camera to another, so that may well have been the problem. Still very much learning as I go along, it's great to have you guys on hand. Thanks for all the help.

That's great Lindy. It was likely just an issue with updating Camera Raw software.

But, it is never a good idea to swap around SD cards.

I suggest you look for a new one for the new camera. Sandisk is the best.

I have had an issue with Lexar, so IMO stick with Sandisk.

If you can afford it, try to get one with the best read/write rating.

At least 98Mb/Sec. Enjoy the new camera.

I have one suggestion for you. When I first bought my D7100, I bought an inexpensive E-book specific to that model. There is not one that I have seen for the D7200, but the one I got for mine will do just fine for yours.

I don't usually spend money on these books and just download the manual to learn the camera, but believe me, this book will save you hours of time learning the camera.
About the only thing it would not cover is the D7200 has built-in WiFi and the D7100 you need an adapter to get WiFi.

The E-Book is called... D7100 From Snapshots to Great Shots by John Batdorff.

Make sure that you get the E-Book. The paperback is about $25. The E-Book is $9.99.

HERE is the link.

Enjoy.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Jocko
Jan 19, 2016, 07:59