Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What Next?

As mentioned in the 2017 Goals thread, I'm struggling a bit with direction at the moment - all the gear, no idea, you could say.

I've been looking at various photo sites trying to work out, in general, what photos appeal to me, and hence maybe where I should put some focus.

I do, of course, like a good landscape or wildlife shot, a fine portrait, and even a well crafted still-life. But overall the images that I find myself drawn to are the more documentary style images. Strangely, it's an area I've never dabbled in. Now I'm never going to be in a war-zone, or an earthquake zone, or some far-flung exotic place (might get to Wales on a Sunday once in a while), but there are still plenty of shots that record the day-to-day life locally (which, of course, is far-flung and exotic if you're ten thousand miles away from here).

So I'm pondering on this. No idea what, or where, or how. I will still want good light and compositions, but I want there to be a story there, too. Maybe not in a single shot, maybe it needs to be a series?

That's the idea, but I'm struggling to think how to kick-off. I guess within that overall generic framework I need to come up with a project about something specific. It'll be a starting point, at least.

Anyway, I'm just riffing aloud and trying to assemble my thoughts!

Watch this space :-)

Don't know where you live in the world, but what about a farm/farmer for your topic? There are a few ways you could go with that - animals having young, sheep shearing, a week/month in the life of a farmer etc. All you need is permission and who knows. If this doesn't appeal to you, carry on this line and see if there is another lifestyle you would like to capture. Just my thoughts Smile

Jane

If there are any National Trust or English Heritage properties near you, they can sometimes provide good subject matter both inside and out, for a photo essay.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

The farm is a good one, Jane. I know a guy who will let me accompany him on various activities. I reckon there could well be something there. I've seen a couple of wonderful photos whilst I've been out cycling (without a camera) where there have been, for example, trailers on which have been perched loads of grizzled old manual workers being hauled by tractor along to the next field for more hard labour. Some of the buildings are like mini industrial plants, and where I live several of the farms back onto the river. Could be some interesting juxtapositions.

My contact is about to head off honeymoon, but once he's back that's a definite idea.

I also thought about heading into town at first light, catch the city as it wakes. Could be folks about doing night activities that we general don't witness - refuse collectors, window-cleaners, people setting up market-stalls, deliveries, all to a background of deserted streets.

Then I was thinking of people leaving. A sort of emotional set of pictures. Trains, bus-stations, snatched goodbyes, tail-lights in the mist...

Musicians, buskers... I always like taken shots of musicians because I am one and I know we generally are happy to be photographed. I often find musicians off-stage are good for a few photos, so there's an idea bubbling under there.

Inner-city wildlife. Broken things. Deserted buildings. We have several inner-city graveyards here, too. There might be something there, but I'd want people in the graveyards... I know one of them is often frequented by the street drinkers. I think there's a story there, too. Be good to spend some time with the drinkers and really get a feel for what their life is like.

Graham, yours is a good idea too. We have lots of such buildings - I'm actually hoping another contact might get me into a few dusty corners of the cathedral that aren't usually seen.

I don't know... Just ideas and, as said above, thinking aloud. But I do want to at least have a go at a project rather than one-off pictures.

Cheers
D

I'm sure that your street photography skills will come to the fore!

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Looking forward to seeing what subject you go for first Smile Happy snapping.

Jane

https://nikoninframe.co.uk/hints-and-tip...e-new-year
Take a look at the above Derek. It might assist your deliberations.
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

(Jan 27, 2017, 03:16)delb0y Wrote:  As mentioned in the 2017 Goals thread, I'm struggling a bit with direction at the moment - all the gear, no idea, you could say.

I've been looking at various photo sites trying to work out, in general, what photos appeal to me, and hence maybe where I should put some focus.

I do, of course, like a good landscape or wildlife shot, a fine portrait, and even a well crafted still-life. But overall the images that I find myself drawn to are the more documentary style images.  . . . . 

Why not document your Sunday trip to Wales pictorially?