Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Art of Action Photography

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to post a thread dedicated to action shots. This type of photography is exciting because you are capturing action while it is happening. When I was shooting for the Coast Guard these were the most desirable images I could capture since the media loved to use them to sell news. The key to capturing action is having your shutter speed set at 800 or higher. My favorite lens to use for shooting action is a 200mm. This is the longest telephoto lens you can use handheld. Anything longer and you will need a tripod. Though you can capture action with any size lens. 

Here are some action shots I took while in the Coast Guard and around Minnesota. Please share any action you've captured. We would all love to see them. 

Chris

I like the fire-fighting shot - the colours of the flames and the protective jackets work well together. And, of course, it's an exciting moment.

Never tried action photography yet. I quite fancy having a go at some motor-sport this year, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. We shall see...

Edit: Did find these two actions shots of the Tour of Britain Bike Race taken in 2014 when I'd just started this photography lark:

[Image: 15013282340_27c8f8bbb1.jpg]

[Image: 15012280228_3b68070bd1.jpg]

"Action Photography" can have many guises and genres. Field sports, motor sport, street, conflict, reportage. I think most of us have our own favourite genre.

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

(Apr 11, 2017, 01:35)delb0y Wrote:  I like the fire-fighting shot - the colours of the flames and the protective jackets work well together. And, of course, it's an exciting moment.

Never tried action photography yet. I quite fancy having a go at some motor-sport this year, but I'm not sure it's going to happen. We shall see...

Edit: Did find these two actions shots of the Tour of Britain Bike Race taken in 2014 when I'd just started this photography lark:

[Image: 15013282340_27c8f8bbb1.jpg]

[Image: 15012280228_3b68070bd1.jpg]
These are awesome action shots. I feel like I'm there with the sun on my face. I can even feel the energy of the crowd. Nice pics. 

Chris.

Great shots. Had just tried some action shots of 2 of my grandchildren. Still very new at this.  Thanks for looking.
[Image: RRP_0034-vi.jpg]
[Image: Derekskateboardingpostprocess-vi.png]

Well shot. Ed.

To each his own!

(Apr 22, 2017, 08:39)EdMak Wrote:  Well shot.  Ed.
Thanks Ed. The both want 13x19" for their rooms. Grandpa will comply.

(Apr 22, 2017, 07:39)Orca Wrote:  Great shots. Had just tried some action shots of 2 of my grandchildren. Still very new at this.  Thanks for looking.

Awesome action shots! Thank you for sharing these. Great use of freezing the action with the skate boarder. 

Chris

(Apr 23, 2017, 11:29)washington1775 Wrote:  
(Apr 22, 2017, 07:39)Orca Wrote:  Great shots. Had just tried some action shots of 2 of my grandchildren. Still very new at this.  Thanks for looking.

Awesome action shots! Thank you for sharing these. Great use of freezing the action with the skate boarder. 

Chris
Thanks Chris. Hope they enjoy them.

[attachment=6948][attachment=6949]
Sports photography takes three things.
1. Good equipment
2. Practice
3. Knowledge of the sport you are shooting

Equipment:
Even the best photographer is limited to the performance of his equipment. To shoot at a professional level it takes a pro camera body i.e. Nikon D3s or Canon 1DMk4 at the least. Lenses MUST be fast f/2.8 or faster. The better the equipment, the better the results.

Practice:
Nobody can hit it the first time out. Required speed, timing, and technique all take some time to master. Focus is usually slow unless you are at a pro-level event where light is not an issue.

Knowledge of the sport:
Every sport has a different set of photography guidelines. To be in the right spot at the right time takes a little bit of luck, but you can improve your odds buy know where the action is likely to happen.

I find action sports photography to be lots os fun, challenging and rewarding. just remember practice makes perfect.

[Image: A][Image: A]

(Apr 24, 2017, 07:00)Jimbo9948 Wrote:  Sports photography takes three things.
1. Good equipment
2. Practice
3. Knowledge of the sport you are shooting

Equipment:
Even the best photographer is limited to the performance of his equipment. To shoot at a professional level it takes a pro camera body i.e. Nikon D3s or Canon 1DMk4 at the least. Lenses MUST be fast f/2.8 or faster. The better the equipment, the better the results.

Practice:
Nobody can hit it the first time out. Required speed, timing, and technique all take some time to master. Focus is usually slow unless you are at a pro-level event where light is not an issue.

Knowledge of the sport:
Every sport has a different set of photography guidelines. To be in the right spot at the right time takes a little bit of luck, but you can improve your odds buy know where the action is likely to happen.

I find action sports photography to be lots os fun, challenging and rewarding. just remember practice makes perfect.

[Image: A][Image: A]
Awesome shots Jimbo. I can feel the soccer ball bouncing off my head int he second shot.

Chris

Nice shots Washington!
I really like the one with the firefighters, it has a lot tridimensionality to it and it looks epic.It's not the type of scene tha you see every day and this makes it unique.
Regards,
Robert

(Apr 10, 2017, 16:05)washington1775 Wrote:  Hello Everyone,

Wanted to post a thread dedicated to action shots. This type of photography is exciting because you are capturing action while it is happening. When I was shooting for the Coast Guard these were the most desirable images I could capture since the media loved to use them to sell news. The key to capturing action is having your shutter speed set at 800 or higher. My favorite lens to use for shooting action is a 200mm. This is the longest telephoto lens you can use handheld. Anything longer and you will need a tripod. Though you can capture action with any size lens. 

Here are some action shots I took while in the Coast Guard and around Minnesota. Please share any action you've captured. We would all love to see them. 

Chris

Great Shoots. Taking a shot on these moments really interesting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post