Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

What Camera?

I would like to welcome everyone to the forums, and just to get the ball rolling, - two simple questions:

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?

Feel free to elaborate!

I guess I'll go first.

I've got a Fujifilm S5000, and I chose to purchase it because (1) it offered the creative features (10x zoom, aperture priority, shutter priority) (2) it was within my budget, (3) I liked the SLR-like form factor, and (4) because it looked and felt so good!

What I would like to have in my kit though, is the Nikon D70 because I miss my film SLR and would love to have the flexibility, quality and convenience of digital.

I lurve my Canon 300D!

I've had a Canon A20 and Canon G3 but wanted to go digital SLR...I'm glad I did! Great shots are easier to take with this bewdy...Perhaps I can lend it to Mr.Shuttertalk himself to do a review!! Big Grin

Mr.Gadget Australia
www.mrgadget.com.au
Home of quality PC Gadget and Memory Cards!

mrgadget Wrote:Perhaps I can lend it to Mr.Shuttertalk himself to do a review!! Big Grin

Looking forward to it! Big Grin

I have a Canon IXUS 400 and it's a cool camera.

1. I bought it coz it got one of the best reviews in pc authority and also from my friends who recommended it to me. The image quality is the best available in the compact range, and the colours are very vibrant. It also looks pretty funky, can slip easily in any pocket and can be taken out anywhere anytime so you'll never miss a photo opportunity. Wink

2. I wouldn't mind getting a digital SLR at some stage, but they are way too expensive for now, so I'll wait for the critical mass to occur in the market.

tangy Wrote:I have a Canon IXUS 400 and it's a cool camera.

Welcome tangy, and thanks for sharing. Canon is certainly a reputable brand, and the IXUS 400 is one of the better models in their lineup. Wink

I have a Nikon D70 Smile

oh, forgot to add:
i bought it because i loved the feel and options. i always wanted to go into digital only if i got a digital slr.

i don't know what camera i would loooove to get, cos the nikon d70 is good enough for me Smile

Hey tempus, Welcome to shuttertalk!

I think we have a few D70 fans around here! Droool... Big Grin

Like I was saying, I do miss the feel of my film SLR, and if cash wasn't an issue, I'd be holding a D70 as well.

How long have you had it? Is there anything Nikon could have improved on?

I've had the D70 now... for about a month Smile.

I don't know how they could improve it, except maybe giving it more Megapixels Smile.

tempus Wrote:I've had the D70 now... for about a month Smile.

I don't know how they could improve it, except maybe giving it more Megapixels Smile.

Yeah I've heard a lot of good stories about the D70. Hey shuttertalk, can you see if we can get one to test from Nikon! ?

While you're testing Ricoh's samples perhaps you may want to ask what they have in the SLR space...

Mr.Gadget Australia
www.mrgadget.com.au

Mr_Gadget Wrote:Hey shuttertalk, can you see if we can get one to test from Nikon! ?

I will certainly be looking into it! Wink

Mr_Gadget Wrote:While you're testing Ricoh's samples perhaps you may want to ask what they have in the SLR space...

As far as I know, Ricoh have not released any digital SLRs, although a newcomer from them for 2004 is the Caplio GX - a 5 megapixel wide-angle zoom rangefinder, which I intend to review soon.

Hey ST, how's the review coming along?

Mr.Gadget Australia
www.mrgadget.com.au

Hey MG, thanks for asking.

I just finished my Ricoh Caplio RX review last night, and it should be posted up by now.

I'm getting the 5 Megapixel Ricoh Caplio GX at the end of the week, and also the Canon EOS 300D! Can't wait!! Smile

Actually, I just heard back from Ricoh - they're sending out a GX this afternoon! Sweeeeeet!! Big Grin

hey

I have a sony DSP-P8
Purchased it cause it had good features for price. Also it allowed for motion capture with sound for as long as the memory stick could hold, unlike some cameras which limit you to like 30sec motion capture. Also has 3x optical zoom.

As for which camera i wished i have i don't know!!! not really a camera buff so not sure what is around. But probably a digital SLR camera for quality i suppose.

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I own a Canon 10D, and my wife, (who isnt a member here, and dislikes forums), has a Pentax *ISTD.

Why the Canon?
Well, plenty lenses and accessories, good build, feel, and image quality.
I own no "L" class, white, posing lenses, as;
a/ They are too expensive

and

b/ I dont like to be conspicuous.

Ho hum.

Can I be a moderator please?

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:I own a Canon 10D, and my wife, (who isnt a member here, and dislikes forums), has a Pentax *ISTD.

Why the Canon?
Well, plenty lenses and accessories, good build, feel, and image quality.
I own no "L" class, white, posing lenses, as;
a/ They are too expensive

Hey Rufus, sounds like You and your wife have some nice setups (and maybe some brand rivalry?) happening...

Rufus Wrote:b/ I don't like to be conspicuous.

Yeah, hard to take candid shots of people when you're holding a bazooka. Wink

p.s. with regards to mod status... I'll let you know Smile

Well, I know it sounds a little odd, but there is no rivalry at all.
Each of us likes our own camera, and each also likes the others!

For example, here are 3 reasons for owning an ISTD;

1/ Light weight and small, but well built,

2/ Loads of old and new lenses, some of which can be bought on e-bay for virtually nothing,

3/ Sensibly omits those silly "scene" modes.

Ho hum.....

Wink

Cave canem

I have a Canon Powershot S30 which I bought nearly 2 years ago. I did some research on dpreview.com and it seemed like a good buy.

I'm no keen photographer but I'm quite happy with how the pictures turn out and just the general usability of the camera. If I have any gripes about it, it would be that the battery life seems very short lived, and the relatively long time it takes for it to power up.

But I'm totally happy with the image quality for a 3 megapixel cam!

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

I owe a Minolta Dimage Z1 and I am extremely happy with it. I have had it for about 4 months now and love using it.

I bought it because I wanted a 10x zoom and when I looked at what was available I was very impressed with its features. The menu is written in English so you can find what you want without having to remember what the icons stand for. Also when I saw the look of it I just had to have it.

I don't know what other camera I would have as I am very happy with the Dimage Z1.

By the way this is a great site.

Thanks
Androo

Hi and welcome Androo! Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, the Z1 looked excellent when you let me play with it the last time. Smile

Hey Axeman, nice avatar pic! Big Grin

1. What camera do you currently have, and why did you choose to purchase it?
I currently have a Canon 300D. I chose to purchase it because I needed a new camera, it was the cheapest DSLR and after I had tried out my friend's one, I wanted it. Smile

2. What camera would you like to have, and why?
Canon 1Ds, Canon 1D MarkII... why? It's not that I've used them before, or that I really need them. I probably won't even be able to use one properly, the reason I wrote those, really, is because the specifications are quite good compared to many of the other DSLRs. I wouldn't mind having one, but it would be a waste if I did have one, using it as a point and shoot camera.

or maybe a pinhole camera.

Greetings adam! Great to see you onboard.

We've got quite a few Canon users here so far, so you're in good company Smile

shuttertalk Wrote:I guess I'll go first.

I've got a Fujifilm S5000, and I chose to purchase it because (1) it offered the creative features (10x zoom, aperture priority, shutter priority) (2) it was within my budget, (3) I liked the SLR-like form factor, and (4) because it looked and felt so good!

What I would like to have in my kit though, is the Nikon D70 because I miss my film SLR and would love to have the flexibility, quality and convenience of digital.

Great camera, I own the same model, I bought it not really knowing a lot about cameras (still don't) because of the high zoom, and quality of the pictures the store demo took, I am bloddy pissed at the s*** quality of aything over 1MP on it, did i get a lemon or are they all s***?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post