Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Move to new forum software?

SMF seems very slick, and like Irma I like how it handles oversized pictures.

SMF looks better than punbb, imho.

I know its not "live" but the "hot topics" threads were stale - doesn't this adjust for the date of the last entry, or is everything with more than 15 posts going to forever be at the top?

I like it the way it is better.

I checked out what Irma was saying about extra wide or pano shots, and for punbb, photos are not really very viewable IMO. Peted's 360 of his car is tremendously degraded by this approach. SMF is pretty good though.

Another subjective thing - I like the style of the current forums - there are dozens of forums using the "new" software and they all look the same - ST stands out in that way.

After just taking a stroll through some of the profile options and forum posts on the sample forums I'd have to agree that what we have is truly unique. Smf is nice and appears to be quite loaded. I've been trying to weigh the pros and cons in my head thinking gee, Shuttertalk is running quite smoothly right now. Why change? Then, out of nowhere. I'm not logged in. Just like that. Pffft! what's up with that? :/ I soon realised that as soon as I logged in at one of the other versions I got logged out here. Also, I was able to edit posts or make changes with the SMF version easily without having to disable my internet security before hitting submit. I had to disable with punbb and I always have to with the current software we use now. That in itself puts my vote toward changing to SMF.

It sure would be nice not to see this message again.
Quote:Bad HTTP_REFERER. You were referred to this page from an unauthorized source. Please go back and try again. If the problem persists please make sure that 'Base URL' is correctly set in Admin/Options and that you are visiting the forum by navigating to that URL.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Hehe it would be nice to be rid of the buggy behaviour...

A few people have mentioned that what we have at the moment is quite unique... that's quite a compliment, but I wonder if people can articulate exactly what makes it special...

This would definitely help me to retain the same elements if we do move to a new software....

shuttertalk Wrote:I wonder if people can articulate exactly what makes it special...

This would definitely help me to retain the same elements if we do move to a new software....

I suppose it's just the look.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

SMF looks pretty cool but from personal experince administrating punbb, phpbb, and invision forums punbb and incision were easiest to admin, phpbb has the best mods/adons, punbb and phpbb were the most lightweight, and out of the 3 I preffered punbb for small forums that just needed text and I then prefered to use phpBB for the larger communities, invision was a nice forum until they started charging so I decided to have nothing to dow ith them after that, vBulliten is a very popular forum software but has been a pay for forum for a long time and I have never got to use it (admin wise) but for the community the software is really good but is expensive and I dont like paying for what I can get free elsewhere, but in the ends its up to shuttertlak on what he choses.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jul 18, 2017, 16:51
Last Post by EdMak