Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

12 days, one camera..but so few focal lengths!

I certainly do not wish to steal Matthew's thunder here: to the contrary, I felt inspired by his methodical approach to have a cool look at my own modus operandi.
Man, I bet your sock drawer is sooo neat! Big Grin
Anyway, today I finished my magnum opus, the Italy galleries(I must still be Romanizing...I keep using Latin epithets.. :/ ): I found some stats to be both revealing and a bit of a shock:
Out of 1500 or so shots, I ended up with 201 keepers: better than I expected, as I'm pretty rigorous at weeding out and culling, but no huge surprises yet.
However, I had a big surprise when I looked at my lens usage as reflected in my final shots....
I took 3 lenses: 21mm f2.8, 50mm f1.4, 70-200 f4(IS) with x1.4 converter. I discovered the following:
I never once used my eminently sharp and fast 50mm.
Of all my gallery shots, 49% were with the 21mm: much to be said here for Matthew's point about using the lens that has the best comfort, feel and I.Q. Mind you, I expected the biggest slice of the image pie to represent this lens.
What has come as a big surprise is the use of the 70-200: 26% of my entire shots were using this lens at full stretch, i.e; at either 200 or 280mm(depending on whether I had the converter on). Also, of all the shots that were taken with the 70-200, 81% of these were only with the extreme focal lengths...with hardly anything in between. In other words, all my tele-zoom shots apart from a few strays were either at the extreme long end or the extreme wide end.
It seems, then, that either I simply have not learnt to "see" at focal lengths between 100mm and 199mm...or that there were far fewer natural compositions out there that lent theselves to this range of focal lengths.
I find it odd that there is such a lot of my kit's potential being, by extension, largely unused...yet I was aware of a panoply of shots at around 30mm to 40mm that I would have loved to have had the lens for!
Maybe this is a case for ditching the 70-200, getting a cracking prime of either 200 or 300 mm and sticking with the Tamron 90mm to cover the "wide tele" end, I ask myself...? Big Grin Anyway, just thought I'd share my musings...

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Messages In This Thread
12 days, one camera..but so few focal lengths! - by Zig - Nov 6, 2010, 22:29

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post