Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Compact cameras on the decline

According to some "research data", i.e. Flickr metadata, point and shoot cameras are on the decline, being replaced instead by smartphones with built-in megapixel cameras.

Quote:Statistics published by Flickr listing the camera models that members of the public used to post images to the popular photo-sharing platform are even more telling. They indicate that most of the images in its huge database were taken with an iPhone 3G.

Not only that, but almost every single one of the most popular point and shoot models on Flickr recorded a decline over the past four months of this year.

The trend reflected in the Flickr statistics indicate a market that is polarising towards smartphones and higher-end DSLRs - with the most commonly used cameras on Flickr (after the iPhone 3G) a selection of Canon and Nikon branded DSLRs.
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/ca...18r5d.html

I must admit that our own household has followed the same trend. My wife's point and shoot camera has fallen into disuse - I seriously can't remember the last time it was actually pulled out and turned on. For snaps, my wife and I pull out our iPhones that are always on us, and uploading and sharing is only a tap away. For serious stuff, my faithful DSLR simply can't be beaten on image quality so it's indispensable.

I wonder what the data will look like if we fast forward say another 12 months? Will M43 / EVIL cameras be on the increase?

Messages In This Thread
Compact cameras on the decline - by shuttertalk - Dec 13, 2010, 07:37
Compact cameras on the decline - by Zig - Dec 13, 2010, 17:22
Compact cameras on the decline - by Toad - Dec 13, 2010, 17:40
Compact cameras on the decline - by NT73 - Dec 13, 2010, 19:43
Compact cameras on the decline - by matthew - Dec 13, 2010, 22:28
Compact cameras on the decline - by matthew - Dec 13, 2010, 22:46
Compact cameras on the decline - by NT73 - Dec 14, 2010, 11:44
Compact cameras on the decline - by Toad - Dec 14, 2010, 12:30

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak