Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Italy and Iceland: What Photo Gear am I Taking?

Zig: This is a great combination of technical knowledge and artistic advice from both you and Matt. Because I purchased the Elmarit-M as an "upgrade", I was reluctant to believe that my brain was giving me accurate information about my preference - seemed to be more heart-driven. What you say regarding coatings makes sense, because there definitely is a difference in the way the 2 lenses render a similar scene - and if it needed to be quantified in some way, I think that you have hit the nail on the head when you say "low-contrast detail" (and bokeh of course).

In the interest of full disclosure, both of those photos were taken stopped right down, and this is where the sharpness differences between the 2 are invisible to any but the most strident pixel-peeper. My own tests indicate to me that the Tele-Elmarit is actually fractionally sharper in the center when stopped right down, but again I am quibbling - any difference seen in sharpness at minimum focusing distance is much more likely due to my manual focusing abilities than to any lens attribute. At F/2.8-F4, the Elmarit-M is detectably sharper.

However, what we have determined is that this choice is not about maximizing absolute sharpness - but about other factors - so thanks to you guys for helping me to make my decision. As the Elmarit-M was more than twice the cost of the Tel-Elmarit, this is a happy turn of events.

Messages In This Thread
Italy and Iceland: What Photo Gear am I Taking? - by Toad - Apr 26, 2011, 09:22

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59