Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Restoring the joy of taking pictures

(Feb 21, 2012, 10:57)matthew Wrote:  There must be something coincidental about the dominance of manual focus, but there's nothing else common to all of the photos that I picked. Five different cameras, six different lenses - two different focal lengths, more or less - in small format, medium format, and digital. Now, there's a certain truth that my best lenses are all manual, but one of the photos is from my Olympus XA, which is one of the cheapest that I own.

But I do like autofocus - it just doesn't help create a good photo for me.

I like AF in some situations, but for the most part I am a fan of the hyperfocal point to get the most depth of field I can. So I need to manually focus a lot even with my Canon nifty 50 which has the worst manual focus ring imaginable. I also like shooting at night and in the dark where AF doesn't really work anyway. The joy I get...is getting anything out of a scene that I can't really appreciate fully in the dark. For me having instant feed back really helps...though my eyes don't see well enough anymore to fully trust the image on the back of the camera.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Restoring the joy of taking pictures - by Sirlarek - Oct 4, 2014, 15:18
Restoring the joy of taking pictures - by Toad - Feb 13, 2012, 12:53

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post