Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

2-way windows...?

What's the view from your window?
It struck me at this time of Shuttertalk rejuvenation that I've trod these boards for a few years and still I hardly "know" anyone(though I realise the "virtual" nature of this).
As a result, I thought it may be a nice idea for us(who wish) to share the view from our window.
My idea is neither to encapsulate genius, nor to necessarily have a "good" shot or view: rather, just a wee shot of one's most immediate environs from a window.
(Jules: if you feel this should be in another section, feel free...)
I've included some 100% crops to point out a few everyday details.

Anyway, here's mine: taken from my bedroom a day or so ago. We've a mild spell here, so visibility westwards across the Severn is good and spring flowers mark the quickening of the seasons. Note the 200 yr old oak tree in the garden...as you can see I finally afforded to thin the blighter...you can see the reflection of my open window against the trunk here...

Crop 1: Past the oak, and down the hill through the estate. This is not a big town at all but a main high street and lots of sprawled houses. You might be able to make out the industrial estate that lies on the outskirts before the 4 or 5 miles or so to the River Severn. You can make out the Forest of Dean on the opposite shore, and the Brecons in Wales far beyond. That bit of green down the estate surrounds a concrete culvert: there are numerous limestone springs around the hill and the ground was naturally marshy at one time in history, so these culverts funnel away the water. This water actually is carried along limestone strata, naturally, all the way from mid-Wales where it gathered as rainfall, to emerge as (usually) drinkable natural water here.

Crop 2: The edge of my rickety patio. The white snowdrops are at their height...you could call them the last of the winter bulbs or the first of the spring ones. Snowdrops are not native but have "gone feral" over the centuries: it's thought that they were introduced in medieval times by and around monasteries, as their whiteness and newness in winter easily lent itself symbolically to middle-ages Christianity.
You can make out the first yellow buds of daffodils: the Welsh seem to have taken this bulb to their own hearts to mark St David's day next week. The trio of plant types here is complete as you see the mauve of the crocus. Funnily enough, "crocus" is the Latin word for yellow: the Romans used the naturally yellow-flowered variety as yellow colouring. That stick- like thing is actually a clematis: this massive beauty used to romp up the oak tree till I hacked it last year. It'll grow again.

Crop 3: See, not a complete rural idyll! There's the Great Western main rail line with the London Paddington train, which finishes at Cheltenham which is about 11 miles away. Note that "factory" thing on the left: that is the "dairy"....all the farms round here suck the milk from the tatty, emaciated, manky Frisian cattle, then slosh it into big tankers before bottling it here at Stonehouse. Stonehouse is also a centre for engineering on the industrial estate.

Crop 4: Facing a little more north-west here rather than west like the others, that hill on the horizon is May Hill. One of a myriad of bronze-age and iron-age hillforts around here, it is topped with an introduced copse of non-native evergreen trees that gives the hill its trademark look from many miles away. You can just make out the Brecon Becons of Wales on the horizon, some 30+ miles away. Before that, there are the other wooded slopes of the Forest of Dean that you see about 9 miles away on the opposite side of the river.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Messages In This Thread
2-way windows...? - by Zig - Feb 25, 2012, 16:45
RE: 2-way windows...? - by Anne - Feb 25, 2012, 20:23
RE: 2-way windows...? - by NT73 - Feb 25, 2012, 20:28
RE: 2-way windows...? - by Anne - Feb 26, 2012, 05:15
RE: 2-way windows...? - by Toad - Feb 26, 2012, 11:13
RE: 2-way windows...? - by shuttertalk - Feb 26, 2012, 18:01
RE: 2-way windows...? - by NT73 - Feb 26, 2012, 20:44
RE: 2-way windows...? - by Zig - Feb 27, 2012, 03:38
RE: 2-way windows...? - by shuttertalk - Feb 27, 2012, 07:07
RE: 2-way windows...? - by Anne - Mar 2, 2012, 16:09
RE: 2-way windows...? - by shuttertalk - Mar 3, 2012, 00:14