Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

People don't want to be seen with big cameras

The XPro1 is just about exactly the same size as a M9. I actually find that a sweet spot between size and ergonomics. Smaller cameras are nicer to carry around, but the tradeoffs in control and ergonomics are too often much for me.

None of the current crop of small APS-c or m43 cameras are really pocket sized in my opinion (I don't count fitting a bulging coat pocket as pocket-sized). As soon as you accept that you have to carry a small camera bag of some kind, the advantages of one smallish camera over another become pretty much a personal preference.

Having said that, my friend shoots a Nikon D700 with a 35-70 F2.8 on it as his standard lens. When we shoot on the street, people occasionally object to being included in his photos. I think that people find a long black lens being aimed at them intrusive. I also think the fact that his face is almost completely hidden by the camera has the effect of alienating potential models. Its more about "lack of engagement" than size per se. People don't connect with the photographer - only the camera.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35