Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

About the Challenge

Mathew,
I think you are doing fine and low turnout reflects a relatively small pool of people to draw on, slow summer season and apparently low level of interest in challenges among the existing members. I have been drawing on my pool of photos for challenges and not taking anything new either and unless some topic really grabs me, I probably will not. That reflects the limit of my interest.

As you know, for me the photographs are not about capturing reality, but about giving the photographer a chance for self-expression. I there fore like challenges that are trying to convey a story, usually of emotive nature (contemplation, sadness, happiness, tension etc.) Other topics along those lines need not be emotive (something in nature that reminds us of letters in alphabet). Another series of topics are those that train our eyes to notice things in our environment that we see all the time and yet we miss (photographing reflections not in windows or water).

Judging is important. Participants should have a feeling that the judging is done competently and predictably. Inconsistent and eccentric judging will derail challenges, even if you do not participate for the prize or honors. The prizes are a nice sweetener. I have no problem with the rules.

I would like challenges that make us think or learn about what we do, notice and feel (see suggestions above) and challenges that teach us about photography (for example back to back 2 topics: 1) Use of light and shadow as a primary compositional tool and 2) Use of light and shadow to convey emotions)

On a separate matter, I received no response to my E-mail to you. Did you get it?

P

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Messages In This Thread
About the Challenge - by Pavel - Jun 17, 2012, 15:44
RE: About the Challenge - by matthew - Jun 17, 2012, 19:32
RE: About the Challenge - by shuttertalk - Jun 24, 2012, 23:06
RE: About the Challenge - by matthew - Jun 27, 2012, 20:24
RE: About the Challenge - by Pavel - Jun 28, 2012, 03:46

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Mar 20, 2007, 06:11