Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon Announces the EOS M Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera

(Jul 26, 2012, 01:59)Kombisaurus Wrote:  And given Canon's resources and history, they absolutely have the potential to become the dominant mirrorless player with the EF-M mount. But it won't be this particular camera that does it for them.
This is well reasoned Adrian and I agree with most/all you wrote. In my comments, I am talking right here and now, since it is hard to tell what will happen a few years down the road. At my age, you are looking at the system that will be good today and not what it will grow into 5 to 10 years from now. Chances are, I will be out of photography by than.

The part I did not agree with you is that there are people (not necessarily serious photographers) to whom one could recommend the current camera. I think given the limited number of lenses available, one can do better with a fixed lens camera (or less likely a smallish camera with a good selection of smallish lenses). When it comes to image quality of a large sensor, I think it is in practice not very relevant to casual shooters, as they are unlikely to print big or shoot at high enough ISO (in program mode) to make the noise distracting on small prints or JPEGs. At best, they will do slightly better on the "craft side" of photography. I like a camera to have features that give you more creative options, thus giving an opportunity to enhance the "art" aspects of photography. Getting all the many things right that makes a good photo is far more important than the sensor size. I really can not conceive a shooter to whom I would recommend this system TODAY. It may well turn out to be a good system for family shooters. serious shooters or pros one day, but not now, I believe. Time will tell.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Canon Announces the EOS M Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera - by Pavel - Jul 27, 2012, 05:09

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post