Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The size of things to come - WOW...

I am sure that there are lots of "stuff" in the R&D departments that are kept "top-secret" and known only to a handful of people. Idea I look at the "growth" of sensors and see that Canon has come from one that was about 6 Mp to one that is about 22 Mp in a period of about ten years. Roughly a four-fold increase in sensor size in that time. A doubling time of about 5 years. If they keep that up then a 40Mp sensor should be around about 2020, or even sooner as a lot of this hinges on the manufacturer's ability to build processors to handle the data stream generated by larger sensors, although that ability seems to be keeping pace wit the sensor technology. There are probably other limiting factors, but I don't know enough about the physics of these things to be able to comment at all on this aspect. Readers should keep in mind that my "numbers" above are only approximate, but close enough to provide a general view of the evolution of this technology. I too want to see the "20 foot wide photo on my living room wall". Big Grin

WesternGuy

Messages In This Thread
RE: The size of things to come - WOW... - by MrB - Oct 12, 2014, 01:43
RE: The size of things to come - WOW... - by WesternGuy - Oct 14, 2014, 18:52

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by cathpeti91
Jul 7, 2020, 03:47