Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A day out at the Zoo - other animals

(Dec 15, 2014, 15:19)Freeman Wrote:  Rolf - that's an admirable and enviable ability you have to get the job done in camera...Jeff

Hi Jeff, I wouldn't go so far as to say that , more an ambition, but I do try to record what I see rather than take a photo for the express purpose of going through a "workflow" to make it into something that wasn't there when I took it. I do understand Ed's point about improvement... I have been known to "improve" the aesthetics by getting rid of marks from dirt on the sensor, a friends wife's bee sting on her face on her wedding day... that kind of thing. I also understand Mr B's points about the ability of a camera to "see". I know that not even my Canon 1 series can see the whole range of black at RGB 0 and white at RGB255 - the dynamic range is not that good.... but then... when we look at a picture... magazine, newspaper, advertising billboard ... do we really worry that the whites are not at 255 and the blacks not at 0? You can get a good Photo that is not technically perfect... You can also spend an eternity in front of a PC with expensive software, and churn out over processed "images" that frankly ruin what may have been an acceptably good Photo. I am not against tidying an image, perhaps the day you had waited for, for so long to get out to a location, turns out it's a damp overcast day and you may need to do a little post to bring some contrast back to the image, or indeed lighten shadows..... get all that... but I would still rather try to get the shot "in camera" if at all possible... if not ... well, I admit to owning LR5.7... :-)

Each to their own form of expression and long may that be the case.

Have a great day...

Kind regards
Rolf

In photography, the smallest thing can be a great subject. The little human detail can become a leitmotiv.

—Henri Cartier-Bresson

Messages In This Thread
RE: A day out at the Zoo - other animals - by Rolf - Dec 15, 2014, 17:20

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Aug 31, 2011, 19:10