Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

So, why do you pursue photography?

Hi all,

I was fortunate to have a day’s photo tuition with David Clapp last week (check http://www.davidclapp.co.uk).

Perhaps unsurprisingly, as we were driving to a wind-blasted photo-shoot on a rather soggy Dartmoor, he asked why I want to pursue photography. Why indeed!

Well, these are the reasons more or less as I gave him:

1. Commercial - my brother is MD of a publishing company and is asking for shots for publication
2. Watchers – to my amazement quite a few people like to see my photographs and that means honouring their interest with pleasing images
3. Awareness - that is, increasing the awareness photography has already given me of light, texture, colour, shape and atmosphere and more – David immediately dubbed that ‘spiritual’ - perhaps it is!
4. Maximising the benefit of recent travels – all through 2014 I frequently visited and revisited the many images I took on a foreign adventure holiday
5. Enhancing quality of retirement life – the big outdoors, exercise, challenge, companionship and more.
6. Remedying some of my personal frailties – after a lifetime of pressure in the workplace I need to go slower, wait longer, come closer….photography demands all of those!

Of course, the real reason is simply that I like it – well most aspects of it, though the technicalities of post processing can be frustrating at times…

Are these credible reasons for aspiring to be a passing fair photographer?

What would you have said? It might be illuminating to hear why you all are drawn to spending the time, money and effort - if you care to share?

Regards all, Jeff

Messages In This Thread
So, why do you pursue photography? - by Freeman - Jan 13, 2015, 13:24

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Buffaloe
Mar 5, 2020, 06:32