Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to Organize Images?

(Feb 9, 2017, 11:07)EnglishBob Wrote:  I'm not sure how others store their images, but for a number of years I have stored mine in folders by date, they are stored hierarchically in subfolders for year, month and day.

Recently I was trying to help my wife, Anna, sort out her images.  They were stored by date the last year or two, but everything else was in folders named where she was, the camera she used, some cute name, anything really, with no logical order or way to find more recent work.

She also had phone images, Facebook images and backed up phone images mixed in.  The result was 41 GB of images, with many duplicates of a lot of them (up to 6 copies of a single image).

I set about organizing them... the first couple of hours was me sorting through and culling the obvious duplicates, slow and very ineffective when the shear number of images was considered.  I started searching around the internet and came up with a couple of free programs that really sorted out the process.

The first was dupeGuru, a small utility that just pulls out duplicates based on file name, or img details.  IT is free, but the current version no longer supports PC.  They still make an older version available for windows and it worked just fine.

dupeGuru: https://www.hardcoded.net/dupeguru/

Now it was time to cull the facebook images, I used windows search and pulled every image with either .FB. or facebook in the file names, these were the facebook version of images that we already had, lower resolution and compressed.  I also noted that her original cell phone pictures had numerical file names, while the back ups had either "Cell phone" or "CAM" in the file names, these were eliminated in the same manner.

Now I was down to a more manageable 12408 files, but they were still clustered everywhere, no logical file order or folder structure.

This lead to more searching and I came across DIM 5 - Digital Image Mover.  It was an automated program that would take a folder, search the images for exif data and then rebuild a catalog in date or, structured by year, month and day.  It could actually rename the files, and the structure was user configurable.  Perfect, now my OCD obsessed brain could deal with the pictures, in a nice logical order!

DIM 5 by Alan Light: http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm and http://digitalimagemover.tumblr.com/

Mission accomplished!

Now obviously before attempting anything like this, be sure to have a backup of the entire catalog of images, just in case anything goes wrong.
I did a search on adobe support and found this blog on using an exif tool which will search and export your exif data into a csf file. When i get a chance i will read up on this a bit more to see how it will work.
Link below with info if you are interested
http://metadatadeluxe.pbworks.com/w/page...ort%20Tool

Messages In This Thread
How to Organize Images? - by EnglishBob - Feb 9, 2017, 11:07
RE: How to Organize Images? - by snaphappy - Feb 9, 2017, 16:26
RE: How to Organize Images? - by delb0y - Feb 10, 2017, 03:00
RE: How to Organize Images? - by EnglishBob - Feb 10, 2017, 11:34
RE: How to Organize Images? - by greenster93 - Feb 15, 2017, 10:07
RE: How to Organize Images? - by Jocko - Feb 10, 2017, 06:28
RE: How to Organize Images? - by EnglishBob - Feb 15, 2017, 11:51
RE: How to Organize Images? - by jjford43 - Feb 15, 2017, 15:10
RE: How to Organize Images? - by EnglishBob - Feb 15, 2017, 21:08