Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I learned a lot today about colour management (post may induce sleep)

Great stuff, though I disagree on some of the details.

1. RAW gamut is larger than Adobe RGB. OK, I know, there is no color in RAW, blah blah blah. But if you shoot RAW you have the most data available for the destination space of your choice. And sRGB, though much maligned, is a perfectly adequate destination space for anyone outside of the graphics industry. Shoot RAW and do as much editing as possible in RAW space.

2. Absolutely!

3. Absolutely! Otherwise you will be double-profiling and that will really make a mess.

4. I much prefer to do PS work, if any, in my final destination space, sRGB. It is extremely rare that I would need the extra colors, mostly cyan hues, provided by Adobe RGB. And I avoid a conversion or two.

6, 7, 8, 8*, 9: I much prefer to avoid all this headache by sending my files to a good lab for printing. You can tell them to not color manage, if you are sure of your work. Again, just my preference. I get many prints and don't have time to do them myself. But your workflow looks sound.

10. You shoot RAW? Then why bother with step 1? :/

11. Something you didn't mention but it may be important: The color space rendering intent. For most purposes, set this to Relative Colorimetric. Out of gamut colors will be clipped upon conversion, and that's the cleanest way to convert w/o causing shifts. Perceptual is okay if your out-of-gamut colors are not too far out, but this can cause color shifts because the out-of-gamut colors get squeezed into the new space using the nearest approximation of that color. Absolute Colorimetric is too frightening to deal with.

12. What works for you is what's best for you! Congrats on developing a workflow that makes an improvement in your output. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
I learned a lot today about colour management (post may induce sleep) - by slejhamer - Nov 7, 2005, 18:54

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post