Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is the Bible without error?

Well, I agree that it's not always possible to translate texts from Greek, Latin, Aramaic, or whatever languages the orginal manuscripts were written in. That's why sometimes when we listen to a message, or in our bible studies, we'll digress into the origin of a particular word (for example the many different names of God - Jehovah Jireh, Jehovah Rapha, etc) to better understand what the author & God was trying to express.

But I take your point Cailean, that how do we (particularly if we've never attended Bible college) explain that to a lay-person in a simple but effective way?

I don't think we're supposed to have all the answers (nor will we ever), but I've found that honesty is the best policy. I tell them I really don't know, but I'll try to find out and get back to them. Then presumably you'd go ask your pastor and find out.

And I'll step out on a limb here - I think in a lot of cases, the people who ask you this question are not really interested in the answer, but more in how you will respond to this. They may not necessarily be looking for truth, but perhaps looking to start an argument and find ways to question your faith rather than determine theirs.

I once led a Christianity Explained class where there was this guy who got so hung up on apologetics that it really distracted the others at the class from the important points ie. hearing the gospel of Jesus. There is a place for apologetics - i'm not against it - but I always try to ask the Holy Spirit to help me discern what the person is truly seeking.

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Messages In This Thread
Is the Bible without error? - by Cailean - Aug 6, 2004, 22:40
Is the Bible without error? - by shuttertalk - Aug 6, 2004, 22:52
Is the Bible without error? - by adam - Aug 6, 2004, 23:36
Is the Bible without error? - by Rufus - Aug 7, 2004, 01:51
Is the Bible without error? - by Cailean - Aug 7, 2004, 12:06
Is the Bible without error? - by de_axeman - Aug 8, 2004, 17:00

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by soldier4Christ
Nov 18, 2006, 01:16