Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Youth groups

This is something our church is facing and I'd like to hear your thoughts on this:

My church is quite small (approx 50 members). Mostly made up of fairly senior-aged people. We've got about 6-8 people we consider 'youth' ranging from 5 years up to 19 years. We're struggling to keep our youth in church, not because they hate church, but because they're going to the larger churches where the youth programs there are bigger and better.

I admit that it's important for a young person to find a church they can fit into -especially one where they have people around their age they can relate to. But how does a small church like ours compete against a large church with 1000 members and the resources to fund their activities like large concerts and events?

I know we're all one body of Christ and there really is no 'competition', but how do you retain youth in your church when there is every encouragement for them to attend another?

I've always thought that if you could involve your youth and get them serving in areas of the church where they feel needed, then that would solve the problem. But it doesn't always work out that way. They have their friends at school that attend these large churches and hear about all the great events coming up and getting invites, and they want to hang out with their friends and go to these great events.

It's also not possible for the large church to restrict people and say you can only attend if you're from this church. That would be silly and in fact they always say "come along and bring your friends!".

So, are the local small churches doomed to having an aged attendance? Is there no hope of us ever having a growing and vibrant youth group in our church?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Messages In This Thread
Youth groups - by de_axeman - Aug 8, 2004, 18:21
Youth groups - by peter - Aug 8, 2004, 21:25
Youth groups - by shuttertalk - Aug 8, 2004, 21:32
Youth groups - by zedlav - Aug 8, 2004, 22:00
Youth groups - by zedlav - Aug 8, 2004, 22:21
Youth groups - by peter - Aug 8, 2004, 22:28
Youth groups - by de_axeman - Aug 8, 2004, 23:18

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dave
Sep 20, 2004, 05:52