Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tips for Travel Photography

On our last BIG extended-family trip--to South Padre Island near the Mexico border--I wasn't "annoying camera guy" because people would only spot me passing through on the way to another shoot.
I would stop and have a beer, chitchat a bit, ask what everyone was up to, then go off by myself or with whoever was interested in tagging along.
Nobody thought I was weird or antisocial. They understood that photography is MY thing, just like tanning or swimming was THEIR thing. And I made it clear before we went that my childhood was a blur of endless monthlong vacations at the beach, and I have had my fill of it. I burn easy, too.
Everyone could appreciate that asking me to vacation on their terms wasn't cool, so we ALL had a good time.

However, since I always had my shoes, money and car keys on my person, whenever I was caught I ended up having to run to the store for drinks, food, cigarettes etc for the sand-covered people. Small price to pay.

And they all cherish my photos from the trip, so next vacation will be even easier.
Don't assume people won't be understanding.

It was my GF's family from all over the USA, and those who know me see me plenty during the year.
Those who didn't know me, got to meet and hang with me enough to suit us all without getting bored or starting alcohol-fueled arguments. OTHER inlaws did that, so my reputation rose as their's fell. Wink

This summer we're all going to a lake, so I'll be around more for the fishing and boating.

Messages In This Thread
Tips for Travel Photography - by shuttertalk - Jan 23, 2006, 21:37
Tips for Travel Photography - by matthew - Jan 23, 2006, 23:04
Tips for Travel Photography - by shuttertalk - Jan 23, 2006, 23:22
Tips for Travel Photography - by jbman - Jan 24, 2006, 01:02
Tips for Travel Photography - by shuttertalk - Jan 24, 2006, 01:16
Tips for Travel Photography - by matthew - Apr 1, 2006, 19:38
Tips for Travel Photography - by Keith Alan - Apr 1, 2006, 23:24

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post