Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What lenses do you own and why, and how do you rate them ?

Hi Kadurf:

Welcome to Shuttertalk!

Well you have way more lenses than I do, but I'll kick in my opinion for what its worth. To start, I love the 18-200 VR on my D200 - it is my standard carry around rig.

The only 2 holes in your setup as I see it are the very wide and very long ranges.

Your widest lens is 18mm which is only a 27mm rquivalent (in 35mm terms) - not really very wide for indoors or landscape work. You may want to consider the Nikon 12-24mm zoom or the Tokina equivalent (which I hear is excellent and costs half the price).

If you need an ultra long lens, you may want to upgrade there. I don't do wildlife or sports much, so I can't advise much on good lenses in the ultra long range.

If you want to trade some lenses in, I would consider the range where you have significant overlap. I would consider losing the 18-70 and 55-200. These are fine lenses, but it is hard to believe you would use either one now that you own the 18-200. I would also lose the 28mm unless you also use a full-frame Nikon film body. The 70-300? Don't know anything about it, but doesn't sound like you like it much.

Keep the 18-200, 60mm micro, and 50mm prime and build from there. Just my $.02

Messages In This Thread
What lenses do you own and why, and how do you rate them ? - by Toad - Apr 12, 2006, 12:04

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post