Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Portable Photo Storage while Travelling

We've decided to go on a long awaited trip in April! Our plans are: 17 days in Europe, 5 days in Malaysia and 5 days in Philippines. In Europe, we'll be doing a Trafalgar tour, which is a 15 day whirlwind tour through London, Amsterdam, Rhine Valley, Heidelberg, Munich, Innsbruck, Venice, Rome, Siena, Florence, Pisa, Lucerne, Paris and Dover. On the way back, we will be stopping over in my home country and also my wife's. We've been planning this for a while, so I'm very much looking forward to it!

I just know that I'll be snapping lots of photos though, and am a bit concerned regarding storing my photos during the trip. I've only got a 2GB card at the moment, and that won't last me long, so I could either:

1. Bring my laptop - existing solution, no investment necessary, but one extra (relatively heavy) item to carry around. Could be good though, for viewing photos and other things. Also concerned that it might be damaged or stolen during the trip.

2. Buy a portable storage device - one of those things with a hard drive that can download directly from my memory card or camera. I'll need to research this one though - anyone have any suggestions/tips regarding these?

3. Buy lots of memory cards - they've dropped in price dramatically, around 2GB for $50 AUD. For me, a 1GB card can hold about 500 images high quality full res JPGs, and if I budget 200 photos per day, then that would mean 6 x 2GB cards... he he he. By far this would be the most restrictive solution (I'd hate to think about budgeting my shots while on vacation), but it you think about, the cost would probably be around the same as #2.

I would probably rule out stopping over at a internet cafe and burning to CD, because on tour you'll be extremely pressed for time...

Anyway, I'm sure we have some seasoned travelers here - anyone have any travel suggestions or tips on storing photos? What works, what doesn't? Any other travel tips?

Thanks in advance,
Jules

Messages In This Thread
Portable Photo Storage while Travelling - by shuttertalk - Jan 26, 2007, 16:12

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59