Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canon sRAW?

It's just writing a file from the RAW data that's smaller in pixel count, but is still in the RAW format instead of jpg.

Same idea as when you choose a smaller jpg resolution, where the camera's processor takes in the data from the sensor and writes a file that's at the pixel measurements you choose.
There's processing involved, say averaging 4 pixel's data into one, but that's how lower-res works.

Don't believe for a second that RAW means sensor>>>memory card.
There's still plenty of processing going on in-camera to create the RAW files.
That's why the camera companies give their processors fancy names and version numbers, because the quality and design of the processor has a greater impact on image quality than even the sensor in many cases.
(Remember, many popular cameras use the same sensors as other brands--from the same factory--it's the processor that sets them apart. Canon makes their own for their DSLRs but used Sony for many P&S as did Fuji and others, and I think Nikon has used both Kodak and Sony-made sensors for DSLRs.)

Not a difficult chore from a hardware/firmware standpoint, I think they just never thought of it before.
Even RAW-only shooters take snapshots, and snapshooters who always forget to set their white balance correctly love RAW.
And as wedding shooter mentioned many pros don't need hi-rez photos of everything they shoot.
A 3mp camera can give excellent 5x7s, so why store a bunch of huge files you don't really need?
I bet the frame-rate is faster at low-rez, too.

A smart idea that adds versatility as long as you don't forget that you're in low-rez mode at an important shoot. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Canon sRAW? - by shuttertalk - Feb 22, 2007, 06:57
Canon sRAW? - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 22, 2007, 08:04
Canon sRAW? - by Toad - Feb 22, 2007, 10:17
Canon sRAW? - by navis01 - Feb 22, 2007, 11:11
Canon sRAW? - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 22, 2007, 18:45
Canon sRAW? - by shuttertalk - Feb 22, 2007, 22:32
Canon sRAW? - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 25, 2007, 23:32
Canon sRAW? - by Keith Alan - Feb 26, 2007, 00:35
Canon sRAW? - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 26, 2007, 02:34

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post