Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

7 Years and 20000 pictures

Nice post ! Very Nice.. I am not a photographer, it was my hobby and as such I got into photography for 2 reasons only !! Just two

#1 to create beautiful photographs

#2. So that I could make $$$$.!

The later was more important than the frormer for me.!!

I have never been to any schools or classes in photography, yet I have taught in college, teaching pro's, color labs, and others how to process color film and creative color darkroom techniques which are all outdated due to the influx in the digital media.

COMPOSITION: There are two ways to learn this. One, read everthing you can get your hands on & practice > Yawn.!!! boring.

The second way in which I teach newbess composition is this: STUDY: the images you look at carefully in magazines, books, etc. They are all taken by pro's. Learn to look, study the details, fill your frame with detail and always watch the light !!!

I do things very differently from most people for one, I do not use any lightmeters, I learned in the early 70's how to read that light and just expose one frame of film for the results THAT I WANT.!!

Now with digital, "everyone" is a photographer. but how do you cash in on the money ?

Photography is one skill... .. .. Marketing your images is another part of the trade that few are successfull at regarding huge amounts of money.

I have a few tricks that work, but it is still hard work and it will cost you money.

Post cards,& Notecards can bring in large amounts of money (over time) if you have your stands in many places,

Photographers Market Book is another way to generate sales of your images. Buy this book EACH AND EVERY YEAR. Learn how to use this book and submit your images.

I got involved in Photography in 1969. In the year 2000 I retired from the electrical industry at the young age of 48, due to huge volume of sales of my images all over the world. This didn't happen over night, but I was successfully marketing my images in Boston in the early 70's. Making enough money to support my new young family.

I do things different. I do not want to sell one image for $600.dollars.. I much rather sell my images very cheap and sell thousands of them @ 2 dollars each.

Everyone can afford 2 dollars, but selling an image for 500 all framed and matted.. your gonna starve !! if this is your only source of income.

There is so much to learn in the marketing end of photography.!! For one you just don't squeeze a button to get the results you want, it consists of dedication and perservance and hard work.!!

It takes time, practice and always have your portfolio with your very best images to show to people to generate interest.. You must convince the client that you are better than the rest out there.. you gotta have some incentive to generate interest in your works.

Hope some of this information has helped !!! Good Luck. When I was out creating images, one question would always arise just as I was about to squeeze that shutter relealse, Q:? > Can I sell this image I am about to create ??? If the answer was no.. I would not squeeze that shutter until the answer was YES !!! F.A.S.T. Focus, Aperature, Shutter, Think !!

[Image: img060.jpg]

FILL THAT FRAME.. .. .. with DETAIL !!!

Messages In This Thread
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by SteveG - Dec 3, 2007, 16:05
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by Banded Drake - Dec 3, 2007, 16:18
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by matthew - Dec 3, 2007, 16:51
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by Irma - Dec 4, 2007, 01:14
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by SteveG - Dec 4, 2007, 09:35
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by Irma - Dec 4, 2007, 10:30
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by SteveG - Dec 4, 2007, 10:50
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by Irma - Dec 4, 2007, 14:45
7 Years and 20000 pictures - by adam - Dec 5, 2007, 19:04