Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice for a digital SLR newbie

Good morning (or afternoon depending),

Yesterday I was finally able to purchase my digital SLR. I had been wavering between the Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel XTi. In the end, I picked up the Canon and so far, I am very pleased with it. I wanted to get some advice on accessories for the camera based on what kinds of photos I am wanting to take.

One of my hobbies is tying dry flies for fly fishing, so I will need some sort of macro lens for these shots.

In the warmer weather, I am the designated photographer for the group when we all go wakeboarding/waterskiing. I will need some sort of zoom lens or telephoto lens for these shots. In addition, I will probably be taking landscape shots and/or wildlife shots.

Can you all give me some recommendations of lenses that would be suitable for me with what I am wanting to do? My budget is not extremely tight, but is somewhat limited. Photography is a budding hobby for me, so I do not want to sink a bunch of money into lenses if I decide that I do not have the knack for photography.

Besides lenses, are there other accessories you would recommend? I already have a very nice tripod and accessory bag, but I am wondering about filters and so forth.

Thanks a bunch!

Jon

Messages In This Thread
Advice for a digital SLR newbie - by Jonitus - Dec 30, 2007, 11:44
Advice for a digital SLR newbie - by Toad - Dec 30, 2007, 14:38
Advice for a digital SLR newbie - by NT73 - Dec 30, 2007, 18:41
Advice for a digital SLR newbie - by ADK_Jim - Dec 31, 2007, 08:49

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 11, 2020, 09:33