Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Artist Statement

I have a series of shows coming up this spring, and one of the deliverables that I need to produce is an "Artist Statement". This is supposed to be a maximum of 150 words summing up my artistic roots, direction and philosophy. This is incredibly difficult - but it is a great exercise.

This is what I am using:

"Rob Will was raised on the Canadian Prairies, where he became fascinated by the subtle forms and nuances of the prairie landscape - the twist of a branch, the pattern of erosion on a rock wall, and the movements of the wind over grain. A photographer for more than 30 years, Rob’s appreciation of details led to an increasingly abstract vision and photographic style. To support this vision, he began to incorporate painterly elements into his photography and to experiment with modifying his images, first in the darkroom and later with computers. The result is a unique style that incorporates elements of the real and the abstract.

Rob’s images have a strong sense of narrative and an emphasis on atmosphere and mystery. As a result, even his most representational photos take on surreal qualities and convey the impression of unseen events unfolding just beneath the surface. Rob’s recent work features images taken at night of streets, docks, cafes, stores and buildings."

~~~~~~~~~~

Its really quite pretentious, but it is supposed to be used for marketing my work - so it is what it is.

I would be really interested to see what other people in the group would say given the same challenge. How about giving it a whirl?

Messages In This Thread
Artist Statement - by Toad - Feb 3, 2008, 23:55
Artist Statement - by wulinka - Feb 4, 2008, 00:28
Artist Statement - by Toad - Feb 4, 2008, 00:32
Artist Statement - by wulinka - Feb 4, 2008, 02:56
Artist Statement - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 4, 2008, 07:37
Artist Statement - by matthew - Feb 6, 2008, 19:32
Artist Statement - by Toad - Feb 7, 2008, 00:21
Artist Statement - by wulinka - Feb 7, 2008, 00:23

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by wulinka