Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Can someone please explain HDR, tone-mapping, etc. to me?

What's with all the recent hubbub about HDR and tone-mapping techniques? I mean, I understand the aesthetic appeal of the very high-dynamic range images, with that charcoaly / painterly look, but why has this suddenly become so widespread?

Heck, at a more basic level, we were using inverted-overlay contrast masks to improve dynamic range way back in the "good old days" of Photoshop LE (I know, some of you aren't old enough to remember that one.) It doesn't seem the new methods are much better at controlling halos, so why all the fuss?

More specifically, what is "tone mapping" compared to a simple contrast mask or high-pass filtering? Just a more complicated way of skinning the cat? Or am I missing something? Is there a reason to use this technique for "normal" images, rather than using the super-simple yet very effective highlight/shadow tool in PS?

And what's the rationale for using multiple in-camera exposures, rather than the simpler technique of processing multiple "exposures" from a single RAW file?

Not being negative, just trying to understand the sudden widespread adoption and the appeal of newer techniques.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post