Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simplifier Software

There are some samples on the Topaz website of course. I have used it only a few times so far. I will attach two images to compare the effect, both rendered from the same original. The effect is similar but there must be a different algorithm involved since when I went to a curves layer after applying the effect the black/white clipping occurred in a different pattern in the buZZ sample than it did in the Topaz Simplifier sample. First the buZZ example followed by the Topaz Simplifier sample:
[Image: 2007-12-07_SouthvilleForest-1-buZZ.jpg]
[Image: 2007-12-07_SouthvilleForest-1-Topaz.jpg]
The Topaz sample was at the default settings for the simplifer preset (it has presets which buZZ did not) and I tried to match the buZZ sample's simplification to that in the Topaz sample but the scales used are very different so it is just a visual guess.

Topaz seems to introduce more saturation (it has a saturation control, buZZ did not) for a more "stained glass" look. I probably could have reduced the saturation in the Topaz sample but I stuck with the preset for this test. The buZZ simplifier one has options to simplify dark or light or both. I don't see those options in Topaz' version. They instead have 5 sliders for "details" and there is a "Feature Boost" slider which appears to be a cross between sharpening and poster edges. There are also tabs for "Adjust (brightness/contrast/saturation) and "edges" which is used alone in monochrome can make a pseudo pencil drawing. There is no direct equivalent to buZZ Simplifiers 2 or 3.

ADK Jim

P.S. RE: Toad's comment that buZZ does not work with large files. I have used buZZ Simplifier 1 on 10MP files with no problem. I have had the Simplifier 2 & 3 overload my memory on my old computer (1.8GHZ with 2GB RAM). I attributed that to the fact that I generally work in layers and I had too many layers in RAM. I have not used Topaz enough to know if it will tax my new system (2.80GHz CPU and 4 GB RAM) but I don't expect it will.

Messages In This Thread
Simplifier Software - by ADK_Jim - Jan 6, 2009, 20:34
Simplifier Software - by Toad - Jan 7, 2009, 00:38
Simplifier Software - by ADK_Jim - Jan 7, 2009, 09:59
Simplifier Software - by Toad - Jan 7, 2009, 11:24
Simplifier Software - by ADK_Jim - Jan 7, 2009, 13:13

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Sabion
Jun 12, 2020, 03:35