Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'm a little sad...

I've always known that I get attached to things that I shouldn't, and keep things for 'sentimental' reasons that don't deserve or require any sentiment. But I'm actually sad that I've just sold a bunch of lenses. I got a decent price for them, haven't really used them, and have already replaced them with upgrades - this isn't seller's remorse or a loss of technical ability, I'm just sad to see them go.

My 11-22 in particular is one that I've always admired, knowing that it's a great little lens. It and the 50mm Macro lens (not sold) have always been my go-to pair for a small high-quality set that can do just about anything, and now that set is being broken up. Sure, it's going to a photographer who I know, and I know he'll really benefit from it, but I'm also sad that it's being separated from the 14-54 that I sold to someone in Florida. Physically the 11-22 and 14-54 are almost identical, and choosing one was often the reason why it took me a long time to get out the door. And now they won't be together any more.

It's like breaking up a really good marriage and banishing the brother-in-law all at the same time.

There's something seriously sad about this... and I think it's just me.

Last week I bought the Olympus 12-60, which makes the 11-22 and 14-54 redundant, even though the new lens isn't as good at the wide end. (That's what the 7-14 is for, and I have to admit that I almost always chose the 7-14 over the 11-22 unless the size or longer focal length really mattered.) I bought the 12-60 for the wider range and faster focusing: I was disappointed by the 14-54 when I needed to use it for family photos recently. I knew that this meant I'd need to clear out some of my unused lenses, and took the opportunity to sell off a couple of others as well. The others were an entry-level macro lens that's barely been used in a year, and an inexpensive 40-150 telephoto that hasn't been touched since I bought a faster 50-200mm lens.

These four lenses also happen to be the oldest that I own: the 14-54 was the 'kit' lens with my E-1, the macro and the tele were my second and third lenses (probably in that order) and the 11-22 was lens #4. Between them I've more than covered the cost of my newest addition, and have more space on the shelf.

Overall it's a good move, and there's still some more items to go: my E-510 camera and its kit lens, and maybe I'll list a couple of other lenses that I really don't think anyone will buy, and my old Sony F828 kit that could use a good home. But at least now I know why I've been holding on to things for so long.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Messages In This Thread
I'm a little sad... - by matthew - Feb 1, 2009, 23:41
I'm a little sad... - by Keith Alan - Feb 2, 2009, 01:36
I'm a little sad... - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 2, 2009, 17:09
I'm a little sad... - by EnglishBob - Feb 2, 2009, 18:38
I'm a little sad... - by shuttertalk - Feb 2, 2009, 19:42
I'm a little sad... - by Don Schaeffer - Feb 3, 2009, 05:11
I'm a little sad... - by matthew - Feb 3, 2009, 21:58
I'm a little sad... - by Kombisaurus - Feb 3, 2009, 22:24
I'm a little sad... - by Wedding Shooter - Feb 10, 2009, 01:19
I'm a little sad... - by Kombisaurus - Feb 10, 2009, 02:16
I'm a little sad... - by shuttertalk - Feb 10, 2009, 06:01