Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First Impressions - Panasonic GF1 with 14-140mm and 20mm lenses

Zig,
You're correct in thinking that current EOS to MFT adapters don't allow for changes of aperture. The only way to set the aperture on these lenses is to mount them to an EOS camera and hold down the "DOF Preview button" while removing the lens. Not convenient at all.
But looking at my EOS adapter, it is about the size of the Lumix 20mm lens. It should be big enough to put some electronics and controls on there, so I think it will only be a matter of time before a better EOS adapter is available that allows aperture control (either through the camera or using controls on the adapter). After all, a number of companies have reverse-engineered Canon's lens-to-camera communications.

But for me, old-school FD lenses are far more suitable to the GF1 than EOS lenses. Not just because they have aperture controls on the lens, but mainly it's their small size and superb manual focus abilities. The fact they are so cheap and widely available also helps. A complete set of fast FD primes (35mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm) could be bought for $200-$250.

Last week I caved in to temptation and bought an adapter for Pentax C-mount lenses (16mm cine and TV lenses). There are many small, cheap and fast lenses available for this mount, and I also bought two CCTV lenses - a 25mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.7. Optically they're very flawed, but they're tiny and each have loads of character in Lomo/Holga/Diana kind of way. At about $30 each they are worth a pop..
Here's a thread with loads of sample photos from C-mount lenses on MFT cameras:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthrea...1&t=638449

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
First Impressions - Panasonic GF1 with 14-140mm and 20mm lenses - by Kombisaurus - Jul 11, 2010, 11:14

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post