Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Interesting" new compacts

Not sure whether to put these in the innovative or "what were they thinking" category, but Nikon and Fuji have launched a couple of "interesting" compacts.

The Coolpix S1100pj has a built in projector:

Quote:A year after unveiling the world's first compact with a built-projector, Nikon has introduced its successor - the S1100pj. Built around the same stabilized 28-140mm equivalent lens as the S1000pj, it comes with a 14.1Mp sensor and larger, higher resolution 460K dot 3.0" LCD.The body design has also been slightly modified and the projector improved to offer great brightness, image size and throw distance. The company has also launched the image-stabilized 12.2 megapixel S5100, which offers a wide angle 5x zoom lens (28-140mm equiv.), 2.7 inch LCD and HD video recording.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/100817...js5100.asp

And the Fuji Finepix W3 features a twin lens, twin sensor and twin mic combo that can record photos, movies and sound in 3D.

Quote:Fujifilm has launched the FinePix Real 3D W3, its second 3D compact camera, and the first to shoot movies in HD. It inherits the same techonology including dual 10MP CCD sensors and twin lenses from the W1, but comes with a larger 3.5" 3D LCD compared to the 2.8" screen of the previous model. It offers a new Auto 3D mode and records sound in stereo. Images and videos taken with the camera can be viewed on 3D televisions and the company's 3D photo frames.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/1008/100817...epixw3.asp

At least you know their R&D departments are doing something... Big Grin

3D again...I can't help but think that 3D is a fad that won't last. Who wants to wear special glasses when they view a photo or film?

There have been stereographic photo competitions for years... the PSA has it's own sub-division for it, of course in the past it was taken with 2 cameras and a special tripod bracket... The viewed with 2 projectors and a special pair of glasses.

Viewing them for more than a few minutes makes me feel queasy.

Toad Wrote:3D again...I can't help but think that 3D is a fad that won't last. Who wants to wear special glasses when they view a photo or film?
Of course it is a fad. A bit like Cameras. Big Grin

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

That being said, 3D TVs are now entering the market so a medium for viewing could be in everyone's living room pretty soon...

But yeah, glasses will suck the fun out of it... Big Grin

Black and white TVs were something of a fad, but now that I have my little LCD HDTV set, I really can't see upgrading yet again. Remember when a TV would be expected to last 20 years? Now the manufacturers expect us to replace them more quickly than our vacuum cleaners.

…remember when vacuum cleaners could be expected to last 20 years…?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Warren
Feb 22, 2012, 14:52
Last Post by Toad
Jan 26, 2011, 18:43