Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Business Cards

Thanks for the feedback folks and it's good to see your own designs.
The variety is quite interesting and I can see a few different strategies at work there.

Irma, I think Juergen is being very harsh saying your card could be for an undertaker! I can see where he's coming from though, and if you don't want to include a photo on the card itself then I might suggest a logo that isn't quite so heavy and masculine as the three intersecting rectangles you have. Perhaps something whispy, curvy and/or organic might provide a bit more of an emotive and feminine feel, and a slightly different colour choice might help too. When I think of your work I think of your excellent delicate flower photos, and I think a logo inspired by these could be brilliant. Also the font you used for your website and email address is very small. Other than that I like the elegant professional layout you have.

Toad, I can see the playing card idea being really appropriate for you and as Irma says, it reflects your personality. Like Matthew I was also surprised that you don't mention what you do anywhere on the card.

Zig, I agree with NT in that I think yours has far too much going on. It's almost more of a brochure than a business card (oops, I just read Matthew describe it as a postcard). Sorry to be so critical, but the text layout in particular - it doesn't lead my eye nicely through the text, it just confuses my brain about the order I should be reading things.
I really believe that less is more and the best business cards I have seen generally have very simple, singular ideas behind them. If you are producing something closer to a brochure then obviously you have a different set of rules, but even then I think it could benefit from a different text layout.
Having said that, I see that sepia image within your card of the single tree with the clouds behind it and think that image alone would be pefect for a business card for you with just your name and contact details on it. I think it's representative of your work and your personality and needs nothing else. The more elements you add, the more it dilutes the impact.
As NT also suggested, if you need a card for your music then make up a different card.

Matthew, yours seems perfect for you. Of course you don't need a photo at all because the type and the layout instantly associate the card to your photography. I love the design. I just wonder if the plain colours will give it enough impact? Showing it on a blue background like you have looks great, but how does it look on a white background? Does it get lost when sitting amongst a bunch of other cards?

I'm going back to my own design to refine my text and font a little more before getting some more printed. And I also intend to make up some different cards for my Software Development work (also a different website).

Just for reference while we're talking about marketing, here's a link that might be worth a bit of a glance.
The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing

In particular there are a few laws described there that I think give great advice to consider when designing a business card.
* Law #4: The Law of Perception explains that success is based on the perceptions rather than realities. This explains why there are numerous bad photographers out there making a healthy living, yet many great photographers who can't afford a cup of coffee.
* Law #5: The Law of Focus challenges you to boil your marketing message down to just one idea in order to make it effective.
* Law #13: The Law of Sacrifice basically says that in order to successfully focus in one area, you need to sacrifice other areas. You need to learn to learn which opportunities you should pursue, not just to pursue everything.

Oh, and here are some excellent designs for inspiration...
http://creativebits.org/cool_business_card_designs

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Messages In This Thread
Business Cards - by Kombisaurus - Sep 2, 2010, 05:21
RE: Business Cards - by Warren - Feb 22, 2012, 01:32
Business Cards - by Irma - Sep 2, 2010, 06:46
Business Cards - by Toad - Sep 2, 2010, 08:48
Business Cards - by Zig - Sep 2, 2010, 11:13
Business Cards - by NT73 - Sep 2, 2010, 15:28
Business Cards - by Zig - Sep 3, 2010, 01:06
Business Cards - by nia - Sep 3, 2010, 05:19
Business Cards - by NT73 - Sep 3, 2010, 05:49
Business Cards - by Irma - Sep 3, 2010, 09:16
Business Cards - by matthew - Sep 3, 2010, 10:01