Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Leica M9 Comes to Live with Toad

New Camera Bulletin. I now have a new Leica M9 camera body and a Leica Summicron 50mm F2 lens. I bought the lens off eBay for 740 euros and it is in absolutely immaculate condition. The lens is the newest version with the collapsible lens hood.

Mini review to follow in the next few days. Spoiler alert: I love it.

Here is what she looks like:

[Image: Leica%20Front.jpg]

[Image: Leica%20Back.jpg]

Haha, the shroud of secrecy is unveiled!

Did they ship you a fan club welcome pack with it? Big Grin

Just kidding - congrats and looking forward to hearing more about it. Big Grin

what a beautiful looking camera.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Visually stunning and a real bargain to boot. Well done!

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Thanks guys. It is pretty, isn't it?

As for it being a bargain - I wouldn't say that. The lens only was 740 euros - the camera body was a LOT more than that.

Hey Robert, I hope that when i visit you will lend me the toy. I will throw it in with my beatup and scraped camera - I hope that they will make friends....Big Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Nicely done, congratulations.

That's a camera that's worth selling everything else for.

Would I be getting ahead of myself if I ask if you're planning on having more lenses?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Good for you Rob. I am looking forward to your analysis.

Canon stuff.

Congratulations and good light to you Toad... Smile

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from you.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

matthew Wrote:Nicely done, congratulations.

That's a camera that's worth selling everything else for.

Would I be getting ahead of myself if I ask if you're planning on having more lenses?
I already know what my ultimate kit is - the 50mm I already own + a 28 and a 90 - that's it. But nothing for a good while - I am totally enjoying the freedom of 1 lens and the 50 is not the standard lens of choice for no reason...

Irma Wrote:Congratulations and good light to you Toad... Smile

Looking forward to seeing some pictures from you.
Thanks Irma - in fact I have already posted one from the M9 - it was the 6th frame that I exposed...

Rocks and Wrecks

Guessed right then; congrats Rob.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Congrats Rob! I'm sure you'll love it.

I have to say though, you're a braver man than me... Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Thanks guys. I have to say the thing is a pleasure to use. Its like being able to see again.

Woo!!!!! Very nice!
Good that you've got the thumbs up as well!
I've only got the biogon 35 f/2 because I couldn't spend so much as to get the summicron 35 as well!
Time to accessorise! There's so much you can get... half case, soft release buttons, straps lol Big Grin My match technical bugs arrived this week Big Grin

adam Wrote:I've only got the biogon 35 f/2 because I couldn't spend so much as to get the summicron 35 as well!
Lloyd Chambers is a pretty serious reviewer, and his write-up of the 2/35 is essentially a long list of ways that it's better than the Leica 35 f/2. And just to show that he's even-handed, his review of the 35 Summicron is a long list of ways that it's inferior to the Zeiss lens. If nothing else, it's entertaining reading.

Never minimize using Zeiss. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matthew Smile
I'll look through those now Big Grin hahaha...

Just had a look... He seems to very much love the Biogon.
The 35 'cron was the first lens i had used (my friend let me borrow), so I wanted it.
It was nice and compact, but now I'm really loving the biogon. It's going to be hard for me to justify an 'upgrade' right now (going from one 35 f/2 to another!)

What camera body are you using, Adam?

I'm using a MP with .58 finder for the wide angle Big Grin
Can't afford the dream to go digital, yet!
M9... so nice!!!!

Good man Toad. Bask away in the glow! Big Grin
Looking at the UK prices, I could get 3 used Toyota rav4s or pay off a sixth of the mortgage on my house. No contest though! Yep, one day, one day....every person should keep the Leica-space alive in their hearts I guess. Hope it comes with a free PC-bib to keep the drool off the keyboard.
After a fortnight of lugging about the IDs with 3 lenses in 30C heat, this looks even lovelier than I might have thought. Congrats there Rob!

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks Zig. I am enjoying it very much. The decision was easier than I expected - only the financing was an issue.

I find the 50mm POV much to my liking, and composing using the bright line frame in a viewfinder is a treat, So easy to move the frame to exactly the *right* position when you can see around it.

It is not quite as portable as my GF-1 - but the GF-1 is not really a pocket camera either - and as soon as you accept the idea of a small camera case, the size difference becomes incidental.

Rob, I was in the most camera-heavy part of the city today. Not only is it a photographer trap and a tourist destination - the site of Toronto's First Scott Kelby Official Photo Walk - but it also draws more wedding photo shoots than any park or garden. I walked past five wedding parties in the space of three minutes, and each had multiple photographers and cameramen with their steadycam rigs. There was a lot of very serious gear out and about.

The only time I though "Ooo, nice camera" was for a guy with an M9.

I'm looking forward to your mini-review.

matthew Wrote:The only time I though "Ooo, nice camera" was for a guy with an M9.

I'm looking forward to your mini-review.
Thanks M. Working on the review already. I don't expect to challenge the *serious* reviewers out there - I don't have the knowledge - but hopefully, I can contribute a few of my insights...

Toad Wrote:I don't expect to challenge the *serious* reviewers out there - I don't have the knowledge - but hopefully, I can contribute a few of my insights...
But if you'll excuse my conflict of interest, that's by far the best type of review. The technical paid reviewers have their place, but I'd much rather know how a camera feels and whether or not it will work the way I want it to. (And let's face it, aside from forum wars, does anyone really doubt that the M9 and its lenses can satisfy just about any technical demand?) I'd much rather read, and write, a well-reasoned 'experiential' review than look at page after page of iso tests.

Thanks Matt - am stupidly busy just now but will publish my Toadpinion as soon as possible...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post