Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Needing some advice re purchase of macro lens

Hi All,

I recently bought a Canon 600D with a Tamron 18-270mm lens.
Previously I was using an Olympus SP570UZ compact camera, however I used to own a SLR film camera and learnt how to use the manual functions so have not had too much trouble converting to DSLR.

I love the 18-270 lens as it's so versatile. It only has one shortcoming (at least that I've found so far!) I can't shoot macro! I really enjoy photographing bugs and also other tiny things in nature. I don't do much with my photos other than share some with friends on Facebook and Flickr. So although budget is not a problem, I can't really justify spending a huge amount of money on a lens I'm only going to use occasionally.

Getting close to my subject is not a problem. I have found that if you are really quiet and move really slowly, you can get close to anything. I have even had my camera 1 or 2cms from those little garden skinks that usually run away before you even see them properly!

I enjoy bushwalking and photographing things in the bush where the light is often not good, so I imagine Image Stablisation would be a big plus there.

I wonder how the Tamron and Sigma lenses compare and I've also seen some attachments you can screw on the end of your normal lens. They are quite cheap, I wonder how good they are? I'm not looking for professional results, just something that will take a nice clear photo.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

Thank you Smile

Anne

Messages In This Thread
Needing some advice re purchase of macro lens - by Anne - Feb 24, 2012, 05:06

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55